Metronome as Precussion Instrument

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Metronome as Precussion Instrument

Postby Mississippi John » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:16 pm

Hi there:

Been listening to some old J.L. Hooker lately and noticed that on some of his early recordings he is using a metronome as a precussion instrument.

I've considered doing this live a few times, but have always decided that the audience would not see it for what it is (a poor-mans drum kit) but instead see it as me being so incompetant that I needed help keeping time!!! Also, the nature of blues is such that I don't always play in perfect time.

Anyone out using one of these in their live performances (or otherwise)? Share your impressions.
Mississippi John
Regular

Postby De Ferre » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:51 pm

Was JLH using a metronome or just foot-stomping?
De Ferre
Regular

Postby Mississippi John » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:28 pm

Well, the thin "tick-ticktick" sound in really good time seems to support using a metronome, but I can't really be sure - it certain could have been his foot, but I don't think so.

BTW - where I've noticed this is on songs where he is playing solo with no accompanyment.

Of course, he was known for his foot stomping, but I think this is a metronome ...
Mississippi John
Regular

Postby Bournio » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:30 pm

I always thought it was just foot stomping. Maybe hobnails to get a click-y sound?

If you want to try footstomping, use some form of "stomp box" fairly sure there're dozens of discussions about these.
I use a display case from an optitions which is 3mm board, with sides, and a 10mm air gap, this is nice and loud, as long as I'm no bare foot, and it also works as a nice writing surface when I need one!
Bournio
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues