How easy is it to replace a saddle?

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

How easy is it to replace a saddle?

Postby teambayern » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:44 pm

Just got a new dean chrome resonator S and one of the strings is a little lower sitting than the rest, and the string tension could be better. I've been told replacing the saddle will fix these issues, so my question is: can i do it? I'm decently handy, have a lot of tools, but don't have any experience doing any repairs on guitars. Is it better to buy one (if so what kind) or make one?
teambayern
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:00 pm

Well, if it's low at the 12th fret but the height is OK at the first fret, replacing the saddle will fix it. If it's low at the first fret, the nut's got a problem.
ricochet
Regular

Postby Boogieman » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:50 pm

Is there an adjustment for the height of the saddle? If so try adjusting it. You may also have to re-intonate if you adjust it. You will definitely have to re-intonate if you replace it.
Boogieman
Regular

check out www.frets.com....

Postby WeirdOlAndrew » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:11 pm

Lots of well explained and pictured guitar work there. Also, google 'lutiher's supplies', many vendors have hints and tips, and you'll need a source for the blank, anyway.
WeirdOlAndrew
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:54 am

I was looking for the link in Andrew's post, and finally saw it in the title.

http://frets.com/

There is a LOT of useful information on that site! Keep it bookmarked in case you forget.
ricochet
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues