62 Bluesbreaker clone or Fender Super Reverb???

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

62 Bluesbreaker clone or Fender Super Reverb???

Postby stratman_27 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:33 pm

I'm planning on a new amp purchase around the first of the year and I'd like to get your folks opinion. I've found a guy who will build me a mojotone bluesbreaker kit for the same money as a Fender Super Reverb Reisssue. I'm torn between the two and would really like to have both but financially speaking I can only afford one. I figure some of you guys have either or both in your stables and can give me some pro's and con's of either. I'm currently playing a peavy classic 30 and can get somewhat of the tone of either but it just isn't really convincing. My band is playing alot of brit blues (Beck, Cream, Yardbirds, John Mayall) and I'm leaning toward the Marshall clone because you just can't beat the "plexi" tone but then again theres something about the clean chime of a Super not to mention it can get you those dirty texas blues tones as well.

Any thoughts, suggestions, opinions???
stratman_27
Regular

Postby slickcat » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:06 am

Id get me a low power Tweed Twin built. I saw Clapton use one on stage and he got the old Cream tone, Bluebreaker's and clean blues too.
Dont mix up the Twin Reverb (super loud and clean tone) with the Tweed Twin. The Tweed can sound like a old hot Marshall when cranked and gives a great blues tone.

Now from the two you want....I prefer a Super Reverb, but if your playing Cream and Brit blues you should go for the Bluesbreaker clone.
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stratman_27 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:08 am

Funny you should mention a Tweed Twin because I saw that Clapton was playing those at the Royal Albert Hall reunion show. The guy that builds the bluesbreaker clones also does a tweed twin as well. I suppose the Tweed gets a little dirtier tone from it being lower wattage and being able to crank it a little more. Clapton sure had a kick ass tone from the tweed and a strat on that show.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby songdog » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:40 pm

I read somewhere that Clapton's Twins are a slightly modified reissue and use the hemp cones.

My son and I built a tweed twin from scratch using a pair of Jensen alnicos and it's a bad sounding beast! We also whipped up a hot plate to go with it so he can crank up the tone without using any effects.

Somebody just shoot me... and put me out of my misery... if I ever get talked into tweeding another cabinet again.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Equipment Blues