Acoustic Effects?

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Acoustic Effects?

Postby mkj » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:22 pm

Hi

I have a rather cheap acoustic guitar but now that I have got used to the high action I am starting to get a sweeter tone out of it. Recently I have recorded my playing and then run it through some software that removed all background noise. Then I added a 'flange' effect which is like a kind of echo. Here is a recording of a song I added it too:

http://mark-jones.me.uk/blues/data_fold ... Hoochf.mp3

My question is this: I have a 10 watt amp but is there a way to add effects to an acoustic guitar - such as a pickup of some sort which could be connected to an effects peddle or something so that I could try and get the same tone as the song whilst playing with an amp?

Regards
Mark
mkj
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:31 pm

I've been known to run my acoustic/electric through my pedal rig and into my amp from time to time. About all I ever use is reverb and maybe a little vibe from the Microvibe. I prefer the sound of mine run straight to the PA board with a mic cable (less noise) and let the sound man add a touch of reverb or delay. If your recording acoustic guitar I'd say the best bet is to put your dry signal on tape and then add a touch of effects to it after recording.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby david » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:54 pm

There is a woman that plays local small venues that shows up with about a dozen different acoustic instruments (assorted guitars, dobros, bass, banjo, fiddle, mandolin, etc.) and a fancy digital delay thingie.

She will start by laying down a rhythm line, set the delay, change instruments and lay down another instrumental line. She keeps repeating this, even using guitar cases for "drum" lines, and finally ends up with a richly textured framework within which she proceeds to play the lead and breaks.

She ends up with what sounds like an entire band, making up the whole thing on the spot--every piece original and unique. It sounds good, and its fascinating to watch her create this right in front of you. She will tell you that she had to learn to play that digital delay thingie just like she had to learn to play the instruments.

Its not what you would want to hear all the time, but she tends to be a crowd pleaser as even the non musicians/technologists in the place recognize she's doing something unique.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stratman_27 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:16 pm

One of those fancy loopers. The hot ticket for tech savy one man, one woman bands.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby mkj » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:57 pm

As far as I can make out I need a mic I suppose - on a stand or taped to the guitar? Can a mike be fed into an effects box or do they have to go elsewhere first? Then from the effects box to the amp. As I am uk based where is a good place to look at stuff like this? I will do some searches on Google to see what comes up.

Cheers
mkj
Regular

Postby Bournio » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:11 pm

If you are using a steel strung guitar, you can get a standard magnetic pickup, and tape it on(looks a bit like 70's John Martyn...). Or you could mic it, or both.... Micing it, either build a contact mic(a piezo buzzer=>a 1/4" socket) or just sit a standard mic in front. you may need a pre-amp before the pedals, depends on how much signal you get. A mic taped to the guitar picks up all the noise that is transferred to the sound board, including little scratches, and quiet bumps, I use a single classical acoustic similar to the way it's suggested above, but using all the odd sounds it creates.
Bournio
Regular

Postby david » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:45 pm

I'm not the person to tell you what would work best (Boz always had great ideas for how to run homemade thingies through combinations of amps and recording devices). But, when you know what you want be sure to check on EBay. You can often find used electronics there for pretty cheap.

There are some cool four track mixer/preamp things that allow you to control the signal more before it gets to either an amp or a recorder. I know Boz told me how to run two mics off one instrument, through separate channels, thus giving some pretty cool effects. The equipment to do all this can be had, used for about $40, if I remember right.

I never got around to doing any of that, yet.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mkj » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:55 pm

I have done a search on the uk branch of ebay and lots of stuff has come up. Looks like I should locate the equipment I need quite easily. Pages and pages of mixers but just 2 of preamps. Still, I should be able to work out just what is required and buy it off ebay.

Cheers.
mkj
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues