New toys for guitar.

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

New toys for guitar.

Postby stratman_27 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:53 pm

I guess I should admit it, I'm an effects junkie. While not like some that have 20 effects on a board I have 6 high end effects that are an integral part of my sound. I've been a big supporter of voodoo labs pedals for some time as I think price wise they have major bang for the buck. I'm a bluesman and classic rock artist so I have bought the tools to get the tone that goes with that kind of music. Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive (hot rod tubescreamer) VL Superfuzz (1968 Jordan Bosstone) and a VL Microvibe (UniVibe copy) a Boss Rotary Ensemble (Leslie simulator) and my two newest editions a Dunlop Classic Crybaby w/Fasel Inductor, and a Keeley Java Boost. The FI crybaby has a more classic wah sound of the 60's and 70's and doesn't lose output when triggered. The java boost is probably an effect that if I would have bought it first I might not have needed some of the others. The Java is like a Dallas Rangemaster but has a 3 way switch to boost the mids and lows instead of just the highs. If you ever wondered what Clapton was using for that singing clean sustaining tone of his look no further than the Java Boost. Its got "Beano" tone all over the place. It makes a Strat sing like a paul but still sound like a Strat. It was just the ticket to get my leads from disappearing in the mix.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby bignick » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:11 am

I love effects too, and it has taking me a long time to find the ones that work for me.

So far it has been: MXR Dyna Comp, MXR Phase 90 for Rotary Speaker effects, a Guyatone Wah Rocker II (I'm not big into an active wah pedal, too much work to turn on and off and I only like one wah sound anyway), and a Digitech Bad Monkey for lead boost.

Although just yesterday I sold a boutique effect I had acquired in a trade to buy a Dice Works NPN Fuzz. If you are not familiar, just look up Dice Works on ebay and harmony central. This guy makes awesome Fuzz Face clones that are top quality and in an MXR style housing. You get to pick almost everything in it.

Everyone ought to have a quality Fuzz. I have been looking for one that will give me a Marc Bolan / Cream sound / 70s Jimi for awhile.
bignick
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:54 am

Effects are fun. My current (and thinned down) set-up is:guitar-->one of those same fasel Crybaby wahs-->a late 70's block logo MXR Distortion+-->Maxon AD-999 analog delay-->old Premier 90 tube reverb-->amp.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby savage » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:44 am

i keep hearin about these crybabies with the fasel inductor. When I went to buy mine, they didnt have that model in the catalogue, so I ended up gettin the standard model. The people who Ive talked to who own the FI model say they havent compared it with the standard model. Does it sound much different?

I wish mine had true bypass, cause its pretty annoying when you click it on and off and the volume is different. I'd like to buy a better sounding wah, but none of the stores carry anythin aside from the standard dunlop models. Somethin about the sweep (or whatever you want to call it) of the wah doesnt sound right to me as its goes from treble to bass. Doesnt sound smooth enough. Seems to just drop off. Think it should have more range.
savage
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:55 am

The FI wah has more range and for lack of a better description a raunchier effect. It seems to not suck my tone like the Jimi Hendrix wah did. As far as the original crybaby goes its been many years since I played one but at the time I chose the Hendrix version over it. The main difference I see about the FI is there is no dropout in tone regardless where you are in the sweep. My Hendrix really dropped the volume on the bottom end. The FI seems to have a small boost in volume when activated.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby savage » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:26 am

i just ordered the inductor for $17. Figure I might as well try it. I'm not gonna buy a new wah, so I guess I'll try to make mine sounds as good as I can. Like I've said many times, I am quite ignorant with technical modification, but we'll see what i can do. I know there are people out there who spend a lot of time modding their pedals and amps, ordering specal capacitors, inductors and resistors to tweak their tone to very precise frequencies. I can appreciate that, cause I like things to sound right.
savage
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:35 am

Let us know how it goes.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby bignick » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:55 pm

Well I ordered a new Boutique Fuzz from Dice Works. Erich makes great pedals and isn't real well known yet. He only sells them on ebay. For $95 he lets you choose the paint job, NPN or PNP designed internals, etc. You tell him how you want it to sound. He has files on everyone from Hendrix to Marc Bolan, etc and he has made a pedal to clone their setups.

I told him I wanted a T-Rex sounding NPN fuzz that is a little brighter. He came through in spades. You have to run them with a 9 volt only though and it will not work on a powered board if the other pedals are powered.

My rig is almost complete, all I need now is a good Uni-Vibe clone and I think my Dad ordered me a MoFaux for Christmas. I can't wait. I love that Uni-Vibe sound.

Here is the pedal:
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2599197250094604083CGukFa
bignick
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:04 pm

I looked at Dice works pedals before I bought my Superfuzz from Voodoo Lab. If you don't have the MOFaux in your stocking I would suggest u look at a VL Microvibe. It has an excellent effect while staying transparent and not messing with your guitar tone. I'm going to have to snap some shots of my equipment and post on here.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby savage » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:22 pm

the fasel inductor came in the mail today. Ripped off the old one (it didnt come off as easily as I had imagined it would). I had to pry it off with a knife, and almost bent off ona the resistors in the process. I put some gorilla glue on the FI, put some weight on it, and left it alone to dry. I deffinately hear an improvement in sound. The low end of the wah isnt as nasally sounding as before, and the wah sounds a bit smoother. The only problem I face is I think I may not have waited long enough for the glue to dry, so when I went to test it out, the inductor disengaged, and the pedal was merely serving as a volume pedal. I just opened it up again, and put some more weight on it hopin that it can still dry correctly.
savage
Regular

Postby bignick » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:47 am

I was considering the micro-vibe, but I really like boutique clones and the MoFaux was the same price. I'd rather give the little guy the business. The clips of both were very good, and so was the Lovepedal version but that was 30 more.

I'm using a Phase 90 for univibe sounds right now. I have an Electro Harmonix small clone but it distorts under battery power. Sounds great with the adapter but sucks with battery power. I don't know why. Otherwise it is a very good pedal.

I considered modding my Wah Sav, but I just get hung up on the whole turning it on and off thing. I never do it cleanly and miss more than I engage it. I like to flip on my Guyatone Wah Rocker and just let it do the work.
bignick
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:17 am

I don't know about the MOFAUX but my only complaint about the MicroVibe is that it doesn't quite have enough speed to work as a Leslie but I remedied it by getting the Boss Rotary Ensemble with my 20% off coupon at guitar center.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby bignick » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:43 am

Check it out stratman: listen to the clips

http://www.sweetsound.com/mofauxvibe.htm
bignick
Regular

Postby savage » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:53 am

I admit it does take some practice to get used to turnin it on and off at the right time in a song, but I like the manual wah pesonally. I was also lookin at some uni-vibe effects about a month ago.
savage
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:44 am

Sounds pretty sweet and transparent. That what I look for in effects ones that don't color my tone only sweeten it.
stratman_27
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues