SS vs tube amps

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Postby ricochet » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:08 pm

Did I say buy that thing?

You don't have to sell me on tube amps.

I just offered that as an example of a good sounding SS amp.

FWIW, I wouldn't pay $1000 for a nice tube amp, either. That's heavy duty professional equipment price range IMO.
ricochet
Regular

Postby thebluesbox » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:18 pm

your right ric... IMHO 300 - 500 is the range most guys hunt for, unless you have lots to give away then you can shoot for the 500-1000 range.
thebluesbox
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:42 pm

I hear you guys there. While I'd love to have a "boutique" amp have you seen the prices for 30-40 watt combo's $2500 to $5000 depending on the maker. I do have a line on a guy thats building Mojo kits of famous vintage amps for around $1000. I 've been seriously thinking about one but realistically I'm very satisfied with my tweed peavey classic 30. The C30 is my idea of big bang for the buck and I've been debating on maybe an extension cab for it with some "brit" sounding speakers.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby deltablues57 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:25 am

There are sooooo many solid state amps out there. I really don't think anyone would be intertested in a boutique type SS amp. SS amps now rely on built in effects to sell themselves and unless you can compete in that arena you may just be spinning your wheels. I you are making a good tube amp I would concentrate on that. Your younger LOTS-OF-WATTS and LOTS-OF-EFFECTS amp buyers are probably going to be the majority of your SS customers.
deltablues57
Regular

Postby 601blues » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:25 am

I myself seam to prefer tubes, however, I found that once your playin with a group and the music is kickin in a venue the Tone is out the window, its volume, I never heard someone shout to there pardner's, man dig that tone!!! most people don't know the diff. I have 2 classic 50,s and 2 delta blues 30's and 2 Jcm900 Marshalls, very seldom use the monster Marshall, But do use the Peaveys a Lot, However I do some overseas Gigs and a few years ago I got a Marshall MG 30 to carry with me for practice,I could stick it in my duffel bag and go, and found that it sounded much better than some of the stuff that was provided to me at venues, I have used it alot with it being Mic"ed and I must admitt it sounds beefie, and its very portable, I would not even try and carry a classic with me!!
601blues
Regular

Postby thebluesbox » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:38 pm

well thats where Im headed with this project, for one it will be a smaller amp and very mobile, it will be affordable and not break the bank, it will look good, sound good, and with all of those elements its got to make a half decent little buy.

Perfect example, I sold every amp in my place and I got a 12' speaker in that I needed to test and didnt really have an amp to test it with, but I did have a really small peavy rage 108 in the closet that I do nothing with. I hooked the 12 to that little thing an cranked it up with my bullet mic and I want you to know that thing was doing some serious jammin! it sounded great, it broke up like it was a tube amp and sounded gritty as can be. If I would post a sound clip I dont think anyone would know the difference between that and if I told you it was a all tube fender champ, kalamazoo, bogen, etc....

However I do think that if I buildt a bigger one and expected people to pay top dollar for a SS 2x12 with hardly no features that would be slim to none, thats why Im going to stick with this smaller amp SS project because if it sounds good I think its gonna sell.
thebluesbox
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:50 pm

601blues wrote:I never heard someone shout to there pardner's, man dig that tone!!! most people don't know the diff.
Absolutely true! "Tone" is strictly an obsession of guitarists, that goes totally unnoticed by 99 44/100% of nonplaying listeners.
ricochet
Regular

Postby 601blues » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:05 pm

As I said in live gigs tone most of the time is lost, Now in the studio Iam more worried about the tone I am recording and really enjoy tryin to capture them, but as I get older Iam not so hip on the gear situation, I have down sized my Pa system From Tri Amped Crowns pushin 10,000 watts,with low cabs and mid cabs and high cabs, 32 channel studio Master board, Down to 1 crown amp with a 12 channel board and 3 way cabs ,and it does the job with a lot less work, also have a gas grill so I don't hafta screw wit da charcoal!! But for me smaller is better as long as it will preform, The Marshall MG 30 has really surprized me, I don't care for the effects at all but it will produce some kick butt attitude, and I have used it with my Bushman harps Mic it and it will kick!! I think it weighs about 15lbs at the most where as my classic 50's weigh in at about 70lbs my classic 30's are about 50lbs, Now Ofcourse you use the right Hammer to drive the different nails, bigger the nail bigger the hammer, but this hammer does have its place fo sure
601blues
Regular

Previous

Return to Equipment Blues