Durability of 6"X9" speakers

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Durability of 6"X9" speakers

Postby jeffl » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:38 am

I heard an opinion that six by nines are known to have shorter lives than round speakers. I can surmise that the normal movement of speaker cones would put more stress on the ends of the elliptical speakers because the load is not distributed evenly along the perimeter....anybody know anything about this. Where the hell are all the old theater organ players when you need 'em.....?
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby texas blues » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:26 am

How many 6x9's have you heard in Champs, Deluxes, Bassmans, Marshall etc. 'nuff said?
texas blues
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:08 pm

Geez TB,don't be so dang logical; yer makin' me feel like an idiot,lol!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:43 pm

How many 6x9's have you heard in Champs, Deluxes, Bassmans, Marshall etc. 'nuff said?

That's because all of those amps are primarily played by guitar players, it has nothing to do with 6x9 failure rate or durability. If the 6x9 was a great speaker for guitar tone, someone would have figured that out 30 years ago.

The 6x9 seems to operate best in the pitch range of the organ and harmonica. The half dozen vintage 6x9s I have acquired have all lived long 40+ year lives in Leslie and other organ cabinets that were parted out because something else failed.

I recently had to replace one 6x9 in the Lectrolab after over a year and well over a hundred gigs and rehearsals. The 6x9 in my Pignose is still going strong a year later. Keep in mind these speakers were all 40 years old when I got 'em!

The millions of 6x9s installed in vehicles and absolutely throttled to distortion are testament to the durability of the 6x9 design. I surmise that they are no better or worse than any other speaker size, just a little harder to find when you do have to replace one.

There were two more vintage Jensen Special Design 6x9s on E Bay last week, so there are still lots of them out there.

Bubba- Sounds like the 6x9s in yer Gretsch have outlived the other components at this point.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:09 pm

Yer points are well taken,Bosco, and it's interesting that the original 6X9 Rollos are still readily available as NOS,even though Valco and Gretsch sold a ton of these old beasts from '57 to '61. And,it is strange that I haven't heard more harpers talkin' about gettin' their hands on these old Gretsches,'cuz they do have a great sound for harp,if ya' like scooped mids. My guess is that alotta guys played 'em with the treble jack,and they are nowhere near as impressive thru that jack,although the cut seems to be better. I can't draw any conclusions about durability from this amp, 'cuz I don't think the thing has been played much at all. It's not even dusty; it had to have been sittin' in a dry, enclosed space for a long time The speakers look brand new. However, I would guess that speakers can become brittle jus' from age, and then when you ask them to move again,you could be dealin' with a shorter life expectancy. They are cheap to purchase though: $40.00 at the one site that advertised a good supply (http://www.vintagegretsch.com).
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby texas blues » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:17 pm

Ooops! Anyone out there to lend me some soap to wash the stinky foot taste out of my mouth! Thanks for enlightening me.
texas blues
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:53 pm

texas blues wrote:Ooops! Anyone out there to lend me some soap to wash the stinky foot taste out of my mouth! Thanks for enlightening me.
Hey TB, it's not a big deal to me anyway. If I get the amp, I'll keep my eyes open for replacement speakers as time passes. I'd be sure to grab myself a pair of the original Rollos,but I might just park 'em,and if I blow a speaker I might jus' stick some organ speakers in it and keep the Rollos in case I wanna sell it again. It's like keepin' your 327 Corvette motor on a skid and runnin' with the race-built 350 until you sell the 'Vette. It's good to have your input anyway.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby texas blues » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:32 pm

I think when I answered that post that I was not thinking straight. I think I was still distraught about having my wallet stolen from Home Depot yesterday.
texas blues
Regular

Postby bosco » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:41 am

I think I was still distraught about having my wallet stolen from Home Depot yesterday.

Goin' back tomorrow?

:lol:
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby texas blues » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:23 am

Yep..seems I am feeling sorry for the gals that stole it. Maybe if I can talk to them to convince them of the benefits of going straight. Not sure how convincing I will be. Might take several "talkings to". Either way, I went and replaced my wallet. Went and bought a dozen just in case same thing happens again. Who knows. AMERICA! What a country!
texas blues
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues