Kick Tambourine

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Kick Tambourine

Postby texas blues » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:21 am

Anyone heard of a foot operated pedal for tambourine? Saw a guy years back in Missoula who used a home made wooden device with a tambourine mounted on it. I thought it was goofy but then I and everyone else in the joint were tapping our toes to that thang. Any ideas?
texas blues
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:32 am

I've seen clips for mounting percusion pieces on a drum pedal - check out your local drum shop.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby texas blues » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:00 am

Please and Thank You for that. I think that is the direction I should go as well or ...make one myself. From your thread doodad, you have obviously done a bit of busking. Ever heard of anyone doing something similar?
texas blues
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:23 am

You can just stick the tambourine under your foot and a SM58 on the floor next to it. Works surprisingly well.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:41 am

I haven't seen it, but I have considered setting up something similar. The only reason I haven't is because I like to travel light when I'm busking - so I try to just bring one guitar case and a bag with CD's to sell.

I think that the pedal set up would be both louder and more controlled than stomping directly on the Tambourine.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:42 am

There is no limit to the imagination. Here is my rig, and check the link out for a really unique set up, that is being massed produced. Walter

http://www.farmerfootdrums.com/

watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby texas blues » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:20 am

Thanks for the comments ya'll. Dan, I agree with you on the pedal thang especially since I prefer to stand quite often and would most likely kick a loose tambourine. I have also heard of a cat that used a wooden box that he tapped on much in the way of John Lee Hooker which I have to say is really the effect I am after. I am always looking and experimenting for another trick to pull out of the bag.
Jellyroll, great idea there too but I know I would end up missing the tambourine and kicking the mic. Ooops!
Walter, your gig is way over the top for me. I would need 2 more limbs along with 4 fat ladies and a team of Clydesdales to pull that off. I am impressed. would love to see you do your thang live. Nice piece of wood around your neck on that pic too. Not sure, but is that a Tokai?
texas blues
Regular

Postby watertore » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:02 am

texas blues wrote:Walter, your gig is way over the top for me. I would need 2 more limbs along with 4 fat ladies and a team of Clydesdales to pull that off. I am impressed. would love to see you do your thang live. Nice piece of wood around your neck on that pic too. Not sure, but is that a Tokai?

Hi texas blues: Your tag gets me sad for austin. Those were some great days for me. I think people give my set up too much credit. If you are tapping your feet, you are there. Yes, that is a tokai. It has taken me over, since I got it almost 2 years ago. Up till that time, my only electric guitar, was a 1963 jazzmaster, which was lonnie mack's. Lonnie gave it to stevie vaughn, who gave it to john reed, who in turn passed it on to me when I hit austin with a funky electric. The tokai is a bone stock MIK rig. I paid $500 for it, and love it. The jazzmaster has been in the closet ever since.

The jazzmaster in action at the black cat lounge (austin). I was the house band there for about 8 years. It was a wild place. Were you ever there? WalterImage
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby NEONMOONY » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:35 am

Man, I love that tux jacket.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby texas blues » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:28 pm

Its a good thing to miss Texas although last time I was in DFW airport I couldn't find a good chicken fried steak or a Lone Star brewhaha. The decline of civilization has truly begun. I gotta say though that you are keeping it alive with that suit you are wearing! That thang speaks disco Don vs. pimp my ride vs. John Lee Hooker. Love it looooong time!!
texas blues
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues