Tulsa?

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Tulsa?

Postby chick french » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:06 pm

I sent my old Super to a guy in Tulsa, Ok. who suppose to be a classic amp repair genius. he just finished working on it and I should get it back in a few days. And boy am I excited!
chick french
Regular

Postby songdog » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:17 pm

What ja have done to it?
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby chick french » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:49 am

I got my amp back today and it sounds fantastic. I basically just got him to tune it up back to stock. The amp is a 66 Super Reverb.

Work done:
Cleaned pots and tighten grounds
Replaced Bypass Caps
Bias Filter and Switch
Replaced Grid Resistors
Replaced preamp tubes
Replaced Foot Switch connectors
1 Midrange Pot
Replaced 2 power resistors
Matched set of 5881 tubes, plus an extra matched set
And various tweeks

He also sent me an extra speaker cord. He said if I wanted to I could use it to run just two speakers for a nastier sound. I don't think I'll need to because with a little knob turning the amp is putting out everything from a bright rich tone to a really nice dark overdrive with controlable sustain.

Before, the amp was just flat sounding. my biggest complaint was that I had to turn the amp up to about 5 or 6 before I started getting close to the tone I wanted. At that point, blood was dripping from the listeners ears.

This guy is very affordable. I almost felt guilty, his prices were ridicolously low. It only cost me $20 to ship the head from Mississippi to Tulsa. He also builds amps, very affordable. A friend of mine turned me on to this guy. My friend is the hardest person in the world to please. He had an amp built by this guy and says its the best sounding amp he has ever played through.

If anyone has an old amp in need of repair or just a great tune-up, I'll be glad to give you this guys name and phone number. Trust me, you won't regret it.
chick french
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues