Vocal mics?

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Postby bosco » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:28 am

I'd spend the money to get the Shure SM58. I've had one for years that has several hundred gigs on it. Hasn't failed yet and built like a tank as Lummo said. They're not called the industry standard for nothing.

You can find cheaper mics but they'll be just that.....cheaper. If not for the materials, for the performance.

A guy in my band had a Behringer and either you couldn't hear him or he was too loud, it just didn't have a smooth frequency response. Once he got an SM58 like the rest of us, it was the end of the problem.

Bosco

PS- You can wear funky shirts Andy, but your vocal mic is not the place to skimp. :lol:
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stumblin » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:10 pm

bosco wrote:You can wear funky shirts Andy, but your vocal mic is not the place to skimp. :lol:

Yeah, it looks like the SM58 is the way to go.
It also looks like they're cheaper in the USA than they are over here. A mate is going to New York in about six weeks, so I think I'll give him some cash to get one there. I know he's going to be spending some time in the music shops there. That way I can save some money for more garish apparel!
Thanks everyone for all the advice :)
stumblin
Regular

Postby stumblin » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:42 am

The SM58 arrived yesterday, in time for last night's gig.
I got a big surprise when I started to sing, never previously having heard the sound of my own voice!
It'll take a while to get used to, the mic seems to have all sorts of different sweet-spots. I spent a while last night kind of dancing round it trying to locate all the different sounds.
This is the first decent mic I've owned, all the others were total crap, so I'm just realising that learning to use the microphone can be a bit like learning a new instrument.
Anyhoo, thanks for the advice chaps :)
stumblin
Regular

Postby bosco » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:25 pm

Congrats on the aquisition!

Yep, now you gotta learn some mic technique. For me, about 4-5 inches off the mic works best for most singing applications. After graduating from cheap mics to a real one, it'll take a little while to learn to trust your voice.

I've found that moving up on the 58 (1-2 inches) works best for speaking...song introductions, announcements and general banter.

I'm sure your actual mileage will vary. Cheers!

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:43 pm

Hey Stumblin',you're nationwide! Havin' a better mic will definitely improve your voice; you're gonna like that. The mic won't improve your voice, but your attention to detail in your vocals will prob'ly improve. There's absolutely nothin' like havin' good equipment when it comes to your foundation.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to Equipment Blues