With my banjo on my knee

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

With my banjo on my knee

Postby jellyroll baker » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:41 pm

Just got myself a banjo yesterday. Been dreaming about owning one for ours but never quite got around to it until now. It's just a cheapie Fender but for playing songs to my dog it'll do alright.

Good thing about playing slide so much is that the open G chords are no problem. The rolls are funny though - the accents are all in the wrong places. I'm still refusing to use fingerpicks so I'm living in fear of the bluegrass police hunting me down.
Last edited by jellyroll baker on Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:56 pm

Would that be Boss Hogg or Andy Griffith?
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1four5 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:06 am

Congratulations!!!! Ha!!! Screw them bluegrass police...play that thing however you want to...especially with the slide! :shock: 8) I pick mine with 4 fingers just like guitar...only faster with a bigger smile :D I use fingerpicks...but they are highly modified
http://www.notworthy.org/alice04.jpg
1four5
Regular

Postby MoonShine » Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:28 am

:lol:
My favourite little piece of what I believe to be banjo?....cigar to the one who picks the song.
http://adam.com.au/pebholst/Pauls_Files/E_D.D_banjo.mp3
MoonShine
Regular

Postby thebluesbox » Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:40 am

a buddy of mine got a banjo guitar thingy if that makes any sense, its a banjo from the neck down only the strings and neck are just like a guitar.

It plays like a guitar and sounds like a banjo really neet.
thebluesbox
Regular

Postby david » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:32 pm

Cool beans!! I'm having a blast with my banjo, and going back and listening to music I haven't heard in years.

Funny, though, I always thought the accents were in the wrong places in what I played before and with the banjo rolls they seem to just fall in place for me.

The exception to that is some of Earl Scruggs' music. He does some wild stuff and most of it so subtle that only a banjo player would notice. I never appreciated how great he is until I tried to play.

Have you listened to any Bella Fleck? He takes banjo in a whole 'nother direction. I saw a performance by him on PBS not long ago. He was playing everything from blues to classical music on his banjo--and making it work.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby richard » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:06 pm

Good stuff -
i play clawhammer style - all down strokes, no picks. you can get some really funky rhythms with a lot of drive with this style.

Also, check oput some Dock Boggs and Roscoe Holcomb - two banjo players who were very much influenced by blues.

Richard
richard
Regular

Postby boogiechillun85 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:45 pm

Amen to the Dock Boggs/Roscoe Holcomb. Also look up Banjo Bill Cornett, he's on a 2 cd set called "Mountain Music of Kentucky," which also has some Roscoe on it and just amazing banjo playing all around. And Hayes Shepherd, he recorded two songs, which I'd be more than happy to email to you...
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Equipment Blues