Best Guitar Cleaning Material ???

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Best Guitar Cleaning Material ???

Postby Mojohand_13 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:34 am

What do you guys think is the best cleaning material and Fretboard conditioner thats available right now???

I just bought a USED (but in GREAT shape) '02 Gibson Les Paul Standard and the only thing that I could see that looked like it could use some work was the fretboard, it's kinda dry. Other then that the frets are in GREAT shape the gutiar has ZERO scratches, dents or OTHERWISE. It doesn't even have ANY buckle rash.

I want to get a good set of cleaning supplies for the body and the fretboard.

I was looking at Lizard spit conditioner adn from what I've heard that is pretty good stuff, BUT does anyone have any reccommendations??
Mojohand_13
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:55 pm

I use lemon oil on my finger boards. For cleaning the bodies, I use that Dunlop 65 stuff.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:48 pm

Lemon oil's fine and often recommended. Baby oil's the same stuff, with a different scent. I haven't had any guitars with a dirty enough fretboard to need serious cleaning, but I've been treating the bare rosewood ones with olive oil for years with perfect satisfaction. (Rub it off well after you rub it in. Same with strings.)
ricochet
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:22 pm

Ditto what Rico says!
I just showed my youngest how I string a guitar and he thought it was cool that I use olive oil for my fret board as well as a wipe of all my wound strings.
As for the guitar itself, I have used just about everythang from a damp towel to Pledge and other furniture cleaner/waxes. I also tried "Liquid Orange" (something like that) and it was a mess! Way to oily!
I also spray a bit of silicone spray on my tuners every 6 months or so and it's worked fine fer me!
Something else i picked up from Rico is the use of "Never Dull" cotton wadding for cleaning up the cover plates on my resos!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Mojohand_13 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:18 pm

the fretboard isn't DIRTY, it's just VERY DRY looking.

When you say BABY OIL, you mean like Johnson & Johnson BABY OIL???

and what is LEMON OIL??
Mojohand_13
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:34 pm

Lemon-scented oil, pretty much. It's used as a furniture conditioner but, as Rico said, baby oil or olive oil will do the same thing (but lemon oil smells better).

Here's Dunlop's version: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=425264
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:25 pm

Yep. "Lemon oil" is light mineral oil with a lemon scent. (Sometimes with silicone, as well.) "Baby oil" is white medicinal mineral oil with a floral scent. "Baby oil" isn't rendered out of babies, nor is "lemon oil" extracted from lemons. Olive oil, OTOH, does come from olives. Great stuff for restoring a dry fretboard and making it a little slicker for bending. Just don't leave an oil slick when you're finished.

There is an oil extracted from lemon and other citrus peels. I wouldn't use it on a guitar. It's a solvent roughly equivalent to turpentine, useful for cleaning grease off of mechanics' hands and cleaning nasty bicycle chains. If you squeeze a lemon into a styrofoam cup full of iced tea and pick the cup up, the lemon peel oil on your fingers will dissolve the styrofoam, etching your fingerprints deeply into the cup. Wouldn't be good for lots of finishes.
ricochet
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:35 am

>>>your fingers will dissolve the styrofoam, etching your fingerprints deeply into the cup.
>>>Wouldn't be good for lots of finishes.

Nor would it be a good thing to leave at the scene of a crime you committed..... could make the CSI guys too easy! :?
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby MoonShine » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:54 am

I've always enjoyed using carnauba wax for the whole guitar, dynamite gloss once buffed with polishing cloth.
MoonShine
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues