The absolute most IMPORTANT piece of gear......

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Postby watertore » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:13 am

sorry to hear that Grady. I guess the more you use stuff, the sooner it breaks. My most important piece of gear is my capo. I use it about 75% of the time. Next in line is my harp rack. I use it about 90% of the time. I have forgoten either or both at one time or another, and had countless car breakdown stories. The worst were in Texas. It is just too darn hot down there in the summer :D Walter

ps: with the suits I wear, I have no problem getting picked up on the roadside :D
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stumblin » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:17 am

watertore wrote:ps: with the suits I wear, I have no problem getting picked up on the roadside :D

Hey Walter, your private life is no concern of ours :wink:
Good to hear from you again by the way, it seems like it's been a while.
Back on-topic, I walked home from last night's gig - avoiding the gay-cruiser's park (it is effectively theirs during the hours of darkness).
But it was a nice little 20 minute walk, despite lugging all my gear - 2 guitars, stands, pignose amp, bag of leads etc. I'll do that again, saved me three quid in taxi-fare too!
I got to listen to a couple of owls, enjoyed a bit of peace & quiet and allowed the bar-fug to get blown away a little by the breeze.
stumblin
Regular

Postby bosco » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:17 pm

with the suits I wear, I have no problem getting picked up on the roadside

Hey, I resent that, ya make me sound like a common bum! :oops:

Actually, it's regional thing. Right here halfway between Chicago and Detroit, the I-94 interstate is the fourth busiest expressway in the country behind the Jersey Turnpike, LAX and A1A. Hitchiking is discouraged and picking up riders is even more taboo as shady characters, druglords and ner do wells abound.

I'm sure the attitude in northern CA is much more lax. I coulda been wearin' one of your tuxs Walter and all I would have got was a huge dry cleaning bill!

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:33 pm

It's like that all over, Bosco.

But the folks in the Flyover states have a reputation for being more skittish about hitch hikers and "shady characters, druglords and ner do wells" .
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby grady » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:35 pm

and if Walter were to try to hitch a ride in his soon to be new home in the State of Ohio, he would get run over.
Regardless of what he's wearing.
Those people in Ohio can't drive. :D
grady
Regular

Postby bosco » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:53 pm

Those people in Ohio can't drive.

You got that right. But it doesn't stop them from driving...and mostly in the left hand (passing) lane. Idjits.

I've traveled all over the midwest with my job and have not seen a phenonmenon like that anywhere else. I have several close colleagues from work that are from Ohio and they have no explanantion for it.

In Michigan, drivers are taught that the left lane is for passing and it is your responsibilty to move to the right and let faster vehicles pass. In Ohio they won't move over for anything or anyone, no matter how slow they are driving, forcing you to pass on the right which is not only dangerous, it's illegal in a good many states. Evidently not in Ohio.

:evil:
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:41 pm

Driven in Florida lately?
ricochet
Regular

Postby bignick » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:07 pm

As a fellow Michigander, I 2nd the Ohio Driver's remark Bosco. No offense to anyone from Ohio here (I have a lot of friends in that state), but Ohio is definitely the most horrible state to drive through IMO. TONS of MAJOR construction, detours that lead nowhere, and more obscure highway fees than anywhere else I have encountered.

On the other hand. My experiences in Iowa have never been good either. Those truckers would just as soon run you off the road than beep their horn. Crazy b@stards.
bignick
Regular

Postby grady » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:33 am

Well, the Saga continues,,,,,,

I went to pick up my Car today in time for my gig a 100 miles away in Roanoke, Va only to hear a horrible "whirring" noise when I started it up.
I got a whopping 6 miles out of that Alternator before it bit the dust.

The lesson learned is,,,,DO NOT buy Alternators from Advance Auto Parts !!!

I got my money back and bought a new one.

My Car should be ready Friday afternoon.

I'll know better next time.
grady
Regular

Postby jaybee » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:11 am

bosco wrote:Those people in Ohio can't drive.

You got that right. But it doesn't stop them from driving...and mostly in the left hand (passing) lane. Idjits.

I've traveled all over the midwest with my job and have not seen a phenonmenon like that anywhere else. I have several close colleagues from work that are from Ohio and they have no explanantion for it.

In Michigan, drivers are taught that the left lane is for passing and it is your responsibilty to move to the right and let faster vehicles pass. In Ohio they won't move over for anything or anyone, no matter how slow they are driving, forcing you to pass on the right which is not only dangerous, it's illegal in a good many states. Evidently not in Ohio.

:evil:

looks to me like Ohio is in Belgium :lol:
jaybee
Regular

Postby watertore » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:51 am

you guys are making me nervous. Bad drivers in Ohio, never get a ride...... :D Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluejay » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:52 pm

bosco wrote:I ran out of gas last Monday when my gas gauge malfunctioned. It still showed I had an eighth of a tank...the float must have gotten stuck. I was only 2 miles from my exit but it might as well have been 200 as it was pouring rain and no one would pick me up. Had to call the State Police on my cell for a lift. Luckily I had a good parka with me and didn't get sick, only embarrassed.

Bosco

Bosco, the same thing happened to us on I-94 at Ann Arbor about 2 years ago. It was with our first Focus wagon, which was giving us 30+ mpg at the time, so when we were getting low during rush hour on the way back from a Detroit suburb, I wasn't phased, as I knew I had at least 45 miles of gas, maybe 60 left, and I was well short of that. So I pressed on. About a mile from our exit, the dang car just quit as I was doing 70 and I coasted off onto the shoulder for a ways. A state trooper finally risked his life pulling a U-turn in 1-94 traffic and gave us a push the remaining 1/4 mile down the off ramp we didn't quite make and to the first gas station. Filled it up, and sure enough it took 2-gallons less than it's capacity -- we had gas in the tank.

The dealer back home checked things out and said nothing was wrong and it was a mystery. We later learned that with these new-fangled electronic fuel pumps and sensors that are actually in the tank, when the gas gets low enough it no longer covers and cools the sensor and it can tell the fuel pump there's nothing to pump. We have a 2006 Focus wagon now, but never, ever will trust our car to keep going if it gets down to 1/8 tank again. Consider that 2-gallons or so as coolant, rather than fuel. Maybe it wouldn't be a problem in winter, but we aren't going to test it to find out.

As for I-94 and hitchhikers, even if someone wanted to pick you up, it probably is too dangerous for them to pull off and try to do so. I have been doing 80 mph in the RIGHT-Hand lane and still had idiots behind me aggressively tail-gating to try to force me to speed up. Take the average NASCAR super speedway race and just stretch it out to an in-line race and you have I-94 between Chicago and Detroit, particularly the segment between Kalamazoo and Detroit.
bluejay
Regular

Postby savage » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:35 pm

i was lookin into buyin a new car. I can barely cram my guitar and amp into my car. The previous owner installed a "system" in the trunk, so there aint even enough room to put my mando back there. And that leaves no room for anyone to sit if I do fit it in. Came across an old '68 eldorado with PLENTY of trunk space. Could probably fit both my amps and 3 guitars back there. We'll see how that pans out.
savage
Regular

Postby bosco » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:22 pm

Came across an old '68 Eldorado with PLENTY of trunk space...

Ooohhh...That oughtta be fuel efficient! :roll:

On a quiet night you can probably hear it drinkin' gas in the driveway.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:29 am

Now, THAT's funny.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Blues