Best blues guitar for beginner

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Best blues guitar for beginner

Postby big boss man » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:34 am

Any suggestions for the best blues guitar for a beginner? Strings? Acoustic or electric? Solid body or hollow?
big boss man
Regular

Postby deltablues57 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:40 pm

This question is so broad it is hard to answer. Do you want to play electric or acoustic? fretting or slide? Chicago, Texas, Delta, Piedmont style? Solo, duo or with a band?
deltablues57
Regular

Postby MoonShine » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:11 pm

Hiya Boss, I picked up an old acoustic in a hockshop (pawnbroker) for AU$60 (say US$45) bought some new strings and took it home. When I played it the thing sounded dull, miserable and pretty average.
Because I had no idea how to play it :roll:

Fella from across the road who can play a bit, tuned it up, grabbed a zippo ciggy lighter for a slide and off he went. He made an el cheapo guitar sound awesome commenting that it had a nice tone, I agreed and smiled instantly thinking I hadn't done me dough lol :lol:

So for what its worth I wouldn't get too fussy about what guitar I buy first off because its not going to sound too flash until you get to a certain level anyway?
MoonShine
Regular

Postby sweetness » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:02 am

Well, Moonshine, you've just learned one of the most important lessons you can learn about playing the guitar: it ain't the equipment!

Not to say that you shouldn't get good stuff. But if Steve Vai picked up your guitar, the guitar would sound pretty much like Steve Vai. It's in the fingers and the heart first. Good equipment can really help (witness most of us as we obsess over strings, pedals, amps, pickups, etc), but ultimately it's in the fingers and heart.

So get some reasonably good strings and practice, practice, practice. You'll be surprised how good that guitar will start to sound!

Best of luck, and let us know how it's going.

Sweetness
sweetness
Regular

Postby MoonShine » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:52 am

Spot on Sweetness, couldn't agree more.
Thinking here that the masters started off with pretty crude guitars and didn't have $$$ or access to all the good gear out there, goin' way back of course to the roots of Blues?
MoonShine
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:20 am

Those guys are right about that stuff,but to be specific, if you want to do electric slide, you might wanna consider something in the Squier line of guitars, or a comparable line of "2nd line" guitars with passable quality control. They're cheap,but if you go to a store where they have a decent inventory, you can prob'ly pick thru 'em and find a Strat that plays good. There are other inexpensive electrics that have decent quality that can be picked up new for under $200.00, U.S. As far as acoustics, it depends on where you live, but up here in the upper midwest U.S.A you can find old Harmonys and Kays and Stellas that make pretty good sliders (judging from what I here when I see guys playin' 'em) for around $100.00 (U.S.) in antique shops. I saw a guy named Ron Thompson,who has a great reputation among pros in the U.S., playin' an old Stella with a De Aarmond pickup taped in the sound hole with duc tape, and he left thousands of people exhausted tryin' to keep up, listenin' to his his set at a blues fest two weeks ago.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sweetness » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:09 pm

As a proud owner of a Squier, I would second jeffl's suggestion. I got my Affinity Strat off ebay for $75. All of my equipment is cheap (can't afford anything else). If you're looking for a good and inexpensive electric, you can't go wrong with a Squier.

Sweetness
sweetness
Regular

Postby MoonShine » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:50 pm

Sweet, just rang my local muso accessory store asking about new machine head winders for my acoustic. He asked if I'd like the el cheapo brand, or the 18 carat gold ones?
I asked how cheap are the el cheapo's?... prices ranging from $30 > $300.

Asked him if he had secondhand el cheapo's :shock: :lol:
MoonShine
Regular

Postby 1dustyeod » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:42 am

These beginner packages are pretty nice. I think Behringer has a beginner collection with a tuner, picks, strap, little amp and a strat copy for about $150. A friend of mine got one of those for his little girl. Gibson/Epi has a package with a LP Jr thats pretty nice.

8)
1dustyeod
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:30 am

My opinion and idea is, go to a lot of guitar stores and just mess with some different guitars. Borrow a friends for a few days and learn some chords and then play those chords on several guitars in stores. Pick out what feels the best. When it comes to guitar, and music, its all personal preference!
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby maxx england » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:34 am

One important thing to me, since the days of truly horrible guitars are mostly over, is that whatever you get, you need to invest in setting it up . A badly set up guitar is a terribly depressing thing to try to play and a few £/$/groats will be well worth the change in the instrument..
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jellyroll baker » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:28 am

maxx england wrote:One important thing to me, since the days of truly horrible guitars are mostly over, is that whatever you get, you need to invest in setting it up . A badly set up guitar is a terribly depressing thing to try to play and a few £/$/groats will be well worth the change in the instrument..

Very true. I often hear people complaining about the guitar itself when the actual problem was just with the setup. A halfhour of TLC can make a world of difference.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby straightblues » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:40 pm

I would check out http://www.rondomusic.net They have Agile guitar which are in the $200 range that are good guitar and great guitars for the money if you want to go new.

However, I would always recommend buying used. That way, if you discover you didn't buy the right guitar, you can sell it without loosing much if any money at all. For a first guitar today, I wouldn't pay much under a $100 or much more than $300. There are just too many import guitars in this range that are good very playable instruments.
straightblues
Regular

Postby nizer » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:25 pm

Well Big Boss Man, you got a good name, which is the hardest part. Now you just have to learn to play LOL.

Like deltalues57 asked, do you want to play electric or acoustic or what? What has drawn you to the blues? A lot of young guys want to be guitar heroes like Stevie Ray Vaughan, etc., and see themselves firing off incendiary licks in front of an admiring crowd. Which is cool.

On the other hand, I would recommend getting a feel for the origins of the music because that's where the music draws its strength from. Any decent flat top acoustic giutar will do. Learn to sing specific songs, get the feeling. Learn how to integrate the rhythm, vocals and lead work together to tell the story... "You told me baby, once upon a time, I was yours and baby, and you were mine..."
nizer
Regular

Postby big boss man » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:20 pm

Well, actually I'd rather play like Walter Trout :-)
big boss man
Regular

Next

Return to Equipment Blues