Hamer; Washburn; Michael Kelly; PRS

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Hamer; Washburn; Michael Kelly; PRS

Postby herb_ransburg » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:18 pm

In the $400-$600 all these guitar makers offer some attractive deals. I own a couple of Washburns-OS, a Wasburn custom, a couple of Ibanezs, a few Fenders, a Rouge Reso, and a Epiphone LP Custom on the way.

Anyone got any comments on quality of the others - Hamer, PRS, MKelly?

Over the next couple of days I will hopefully get a chance to play these brands at the local store(s). I did notice that the PRS and ESPs have models that are double to triple what I would like to pay at the moment. I can wait until I play professionally before I drop that kind of cash on a new Lady.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
herb_ransburg
Regular

Postby bignick » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:28 pm

I do not feel that Washburn or Hamer make bad guitars. I have liked every single one I have ever played and I have only really played their budget models. I had a really nice Flame Topped Hamer Studio at one point. It was Double Cutaway and had Seymour Duncans. It was an incredible guitar and I miss it. I think they are a lot better than the PRS SE line.

Those PRS strat copies are pretty neat for around $340. Everyone I have talked to about the guitar has told me to take a Fender over one of them any day though if I wanted that kind of sound.

Those Michael Kelleys look like solid guitars but I have never played one.
bignick
Regular

Postby herb_ransburg » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:49 pm

Thanks Bignick. I appreciate the feeback. I am looking to carve out some time and play the Hamers, PRS, and Michael Kellys over the weekend. Maybe by next week I have 12 Ladies in the rack!
herb_ransburg
Regular

Postby straightblues » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:38 am

If you can spend $600 do yourself a favor and buy a used Hamer USA. They are much better than their import stuff. You can buy an Eclipse with firebird pickups in it, a Special with either P-90 or humbuckers, or a Studio. I have one of each and they are truely great guitars and are a real bargin. Probably the best bang for the buck guitars available today. They are better than the Gibsons of the same style.
straightblues
Regular

Postby wwpete52 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:09 am

I have never owned one but I have played Michael Kelly guitars. They are one of the best bang for the bucks guitars around. They are very well made, they look great, they play great, etc...
wwpete52
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:19 am

I went uke shopping today and of course had to play some guitars along the way. I played a Michael Kelly and I thought it was pretty good. I have never played Hamers before though. But as far as Washburns go. I have never played a bad Washburn. My friend has a Washburn 12 string Dreadnaught made in the 80's and its such a sweet playing and sounding guitar. All of the Washburn products I have played are sweet IMO.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues