Epiphone Amp Decisions... Decisions

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Epiphone Amp Decisions... Decisions

Postby rustyslide » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:01 pm

I'm just rambling and looking for feedback:

I found an Epi Valve Junior Head on eBay, here in Canada, for a decent price, but it's escalated to the point where I think I could get a new one for the same price, and I'm not the high bidder. 

Unfortunately, I can't find one to buy up here in the frozen north, so I'm not quite sure what that buy-new price is. 

The price on a Valve Jr Combo is ~$205 (CDN) out-the-door - ~$184 US, more than it would cost from Musician's Friend, but they're not shipping to Canada right now. 

One music store has an older Epi tube amp combo, though I don't know the model, for $200 (a bit less, could talk 'em down). I assume it's a Galaxie-10 or similar. 

Any thoughts on what I should do?  The auction is up tonight. I have an old practice amp that I can easily turn into a 1x8 4Ω cab.

I'm going to go take a look at the Epi amp at the store in about 40 minutes.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby rustyslide » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:07 pm

Alas, amp at the shop wasn't anything special.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby grady » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:26 am

IMO, the Epi Valve Standard is the amp to have in that line.

I love mine.
grady
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:54 pm

It looks good, but I'd probably disconnect the DSP effects and 15W is too loud for my apartment. Perhaps most importantly, the cost is also currently above my "spur of the moment purchase" threshold, and I dislike not being impulsive.

I won one of the auctions I was bidding on (I made an effort to make sure I was only winning one at any given time - I didn't want two), so I have a Valve Junior Head on the way.

I'm probably going to get some speakers and make a better cabinet than the Peavey Rage 1x8" over the next few months. An 8? cab would work with two of my other amps too.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby sweetness » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:39 pm

I have the Epi Junior Head and love it. I'm using a Peavey Backstage with the electronics ripped out for my cab. Haven't used the Valve Jr Standard, but I have heard that it's very noisy compared to the VJH.

Sweetness
sweetness
Regular

Postby lightninboy » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:03 pm

Rusty,
I wouldn't buy a Galaxie 10.
Not much chop imo.
lightninboy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rustyslide » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:18 pm

lightninboy wrote:Rusty,
I wouldn't buy a Galaxie 10.
Not much chop imo.

Turned out it was an Electar Tube 30 - a bit larger than the sales guy suggested on the phone. He then tried to tell me it was still "pretty" lightweight in the store when we were standing by it, before giving it a lift to illustrate this; unfortunately for his cause, he let out a grunt. It was at least 15-20 Kg. 

It had too much headroom on the clean channel and not enough on the dirty one, which sounded like it was just adding fuzz (which is apparently a solid-state boost circuit between the two pre-amp tubes). 

Not at all what I wanted, though not bad sounding.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby grady » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:26 pm

sweetness wrote:I have the Epi Junior Head and love it. I'm using a Peavey Backstage with the electronics ripped out for my cab. Haven't used the Valve Jr Standard, but I have heard that it's very noisy compared to the VJH.

Sweetness

My Valve Standard is quiet.
I mean "Recording Quiet".
No hiss, no hum.
grady
Regular

Postby Mississippi John » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:03 pm

Not sure if this was resolved yet. As it happens, I just checked into this amp for the Ottawa area yeasterday. Long & McQuade carry these amps:

$155 CDN for the head
$184 CDN for the combo.

I've never shopped at Long & McQuade (a chain in Canada), but my talented, metal-head nephew speaks highly of them. He Blew up a $700 Fender amp within 30 minutes of getting it home (did rnot ead the owners manual, did what they explicitly stated NOT to do). L & M replaced it with no questions asked.

No shipping or duties if you buy from these stores either.

Good luck
Mississippi John
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:44 pm

It's ok, I only paid a bit more than $155. It's quiet lovely - I'm running it through a 1x8", though I will be making a larger cab sometime soon-ish. I'm thinking of either 1x10/1x12, 1x8/1x12, or 1x8/1x10.
Last edited by rustyslide on Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby ricochet » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:45 pm

The great thing about a head is that you can have a variety of cabs.

Getting a little head is always a good thing.
ricochet
Regular

Postby smokindog » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:38 am

I have to agree with ric on that :lol: :lol: :lol: I love my EVH with a few pedals it really rocks :twisted: --ken
smokindog
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues