Removing a polyester finish

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Removing a polyester finish

Postby guitarslim101 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:53 am

Is it possible? I've been playing around with the original body from my mexican strat (not the one I got cheated on...I plan on selling that one while it's still in decent shape) and I can't get the ^&%#ing finish off. I didn't realize it was polyester until yesterday after I tried using a few different stripping products and checked the Fender site and saw that MIM strats are finished with polyester. The guys from the Stew Mac tech support suggested sanding it but I'm sure the dust from this stuff would be rather toxic, and I've seen a few things suggesting a heat gun, but both of those methods seem like they could be harmful to my health and mess up the body. Any ideas or am I just screwed?
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby straightblues » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:41 am

Sand it smooth and paint right over it.

If you need it off there, try a heat gun. Also, go to home depot and talk to the guys about chemical strippers. One of them should be able to get it off.
straightblues
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:25 am

The heat gun is working quite well. I should have a sexy "new" guitar body in no time.
guitarslim101
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues