Help me out on an amp dillema guys!

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Help me out on an amp dillema guys!

Postby bignick » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:24 pm

I purchased a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe from my local shop used for about $425 but in perfect shape. This was about 5 months ago. I love the amp, but it is sooooo loud. I can't get it passed 1 on the volume.

I turned down the volume knob on my guitar to about 5 and was able to crank the amp a bit more, but it really doesn't shine until you kick the volume up.

The shop suggested that I swap a 12ax7 preamp for a 12at7 because this mod seems to work well on their Hot Rod Devilles. I tried it and it worked well. There is a gradual volume increase now and the OD is a bit fatter. It is still extremely loud though. I'm not using it anywhere to it's potential.

I wanted a Blues Jr. and they offered me a brand new one and $50 in shop credit for the amp but mentioned that it would be a shame to trade down. Should I take it or keep this in case I get a chance to play out? I do have my Micro Cube and Ugly Amp for low watt tubes.
bignick
Regular

Postby grady » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:06 pm

Be very careful which Blues Jr. you take home.

I've had 3 or 4 of them and some of them have a very noisy Reverb in them.

I don't think trading down is a bad thing in your case however, you could always "trade up" for a used Fender '59 Bassman Re-Issue.
That's the best sounding amp I ever heard or owned.

I personally prefer the Pro Jr. over the Blues Jr.
It's a better sounding amp.

Do they have any Epiphone Valve Standards in that store ??
Be sure to try one of those before you buy anything.
You'll be VERY suprised.
grady
Regular

Postby thebluesbox » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:21 am

425.00 was a steal, you could always sell it outright take the money and buy what you really want, you will come out on top this way.

If you play more at home I would think the pro jr would be a cool choice I had one its a nice nice amp. But if you honestly think you will ever gig and might need that deluxe you better just keep it and play your ugly amp at home and save yourself all the hassles.
thebluesbox
Regular

Postby bosco » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:18 pm

Nick-

What's to keep you from diminishing the preamp a bit more? Harpers do it all the time. Here are approximate preamp tube values-

12AX7= 100% gain
12AT7= 70% gain
12AY7= 40% gain
12AU7= 17% gain

At some point the input signal will deteriorate too far and it will be noticeable. Only trial and error will determine what that point is.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby slideshowbob2 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:36 pm

What about using an attenuater(sic?) like a "Hot Plate" ,pretty sure thats what they're called. That would let you run the amp loud ,and control the level to the speakers...... this way ya still got that amp if ya ever need the watts. and whats the verdict on pullin a power tube out of there!? i was playin with some guys a few years back, and i was using their amp, a marshall jubilee(grey one) and it only was running on two tubes, when four was the norm. This marshall had a half power switch . whereas the Blues DeVille dosent so i,m not sure if this pullin tubes is safe!@ anyone know?
slideshowbob2
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:10 am

grady wrote:I don't think trading down is a bad thing in your case however, you could always "trade up" for a used Fender '59 Bassman Re-Issue.
That's the best sounding amp I ever heard or owned.

There's a few on eBay right now...
Last edited by rustyslide on Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby TheDude » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:57 am

I had a Blues Jr and it's a nice little amp... and actually plenty loud for small gigs. The good thing is it sounds nice at low volumes too. For a little extra cash there's a Tweed Blues Jr too which is covered with tweed and has a Jensen speaker instead of the normal one. Supposedly they're really good too.

Pulling tubes out like Slideshowbob2 said is indeed an option. I saw guys at a bluesclub a few years back with a Bassman '59 and they never had a full set of powertubes in there. I don't know about the longterm effects on the amp though...
TheDude
Regular

Postby slickcat » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:27 pm

If your gonna play out....the hotrod isnt a bad amp. I like what Grady said trade up for a Bassman reissue. They sound great....but they are still loud and heavy. How about the 65 deluxe reissue? Its a little bigger than the Blues Junior and not as loud as the hotrod deluxe.
http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i- ... nd-94.html
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby straightblues » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:39 am

First of all get out of the mindset that you are trading down. You wouldn't be you would just be getting a smaller wattage amp, not better or worse just smaller.

The Deluxe you have is a good sounding amp cranked up. It also takes pedals well. You might just want to get an overdrive pedal to put in front of it. That way, if you ever did need the power, you would still have it.

If you do decide to make a switch, I would also suggest selling your Deluxe and finding another amp. The Pro Jr. would be a good choice. I also love my Ampeg Jet II. Crate makes several models of tube amps that also sound very good. You should also look at the Peavey Classic 20 or 30, or the Delta Blues amp.

I had the Blues Deville. Like the Hot Rod Deluxe, it is a great sounding amp that was just too loud. I sold mine in the end after trying speaker swaps, tube swaps and an attenuator.
straightblues
Regular

Postby 1dustyeod » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:42 am

I've been using a tweed Bassman for a few years now and would highly reccommend them to anyone looking for a new amp......

Tweeds Rule.........

8)
1dustyeod
Regular

Postby slidnslim » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:00 am

[quote="bosco"]Nick-

What's to keep you from diminishing the preamp a bit more? Harpers do it all the time. Here are approximate preamp tube values-

12AX7= 100% gain
12AT7= 70% gain
12AY7= 40% gain
12AU7= 17% gain

Sorry I don't mean to change the subject here but,if I want
to swap out pre-amp tubes out of my old Fender can I just
yank them out and pop some others in? or do Ihave to
bring it to someone to adjust(thanks)

Kenny, :twisted:
slidnslim
Regular

Postby slideshowbob2 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:27 am

you can just swap em out yourself Kenny. No bias ing involved
slideshowbob2
Regular

Postby jaybee » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:12 am

slidnslim wrote:
bosco wrote:Nick-

12AX7= 100% gain
12AT7= 70% gain
12AY7= 40% gain
12AU7= 17% gain

Sorry I don't mean to change the subject here but,if I want
to swap out pre-amp tubes out of my old Fender can I just
yank them out and pop some others in? or do Ihave to
bring it to someone to adjust(thanks)

Kenny, :twisted:

swapping pre amp tubes will not do very much to take down the volume, it has more effect on the break up point and amount of OD you can get from the amp.
Volume is where the power amp tubes are responsible and you can NOT just swap those.
you can use an attenuator as already suggested, and there are "yellowjackets" - these are some kind of "adaptor" you put in place of the 6L6's in your amp and then you put EL84 (? - would have to check this, but they are supplied with the yellowjackets) in them.
pro: (a lot) cheaper than a HotPlate
con: different ouput tubes mean different sound from your amp, so you might not like the endresult
jaybee
Regular

Postby slidnslim » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:23 am

Thanks Bob and Jabee :lol:

I'm going to try a couple f 12AT7's in that Princeton of mine
Like it is right now it spits and farts alot(kinda like myself!)
with the acoustics plugged in,maybee lowering the gain will
help a little, I think its got the origninal 6V6's in there so
I should probably change them too,

Kenny,
slidnslim
Regular

Postby slidnslim » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:52 am

8) I guess theres only one 12AX7! AND A WHOLE LOT OF COB WEBS!

Kenny,
slidnslim
Regular

Next

Return to Equipment Blues