Steel vs. Brass body

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Steel vs. Brass body

Postby NEONMOONY » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:49 pm

Here's a question for the resonator experts. I have a wood bodied resonator. I am considering a purchasing a metal bodied resonator and I was wondering if anybody could comment on the difference in sound between a steel body and a brass body. I've never really been able to compare them side by side. Thanks all in advance. ( Apologies if this question has been asked numerous times previously)
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby fretmonkey » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:21 pm

Here's a thread where a member James Farrell put up to videos. one of a VS and one of a Style 1.

I think they both sound great but obviously different.

http://www.bigroadblues.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3615

FM
fretmonkey
Regular

Postby lightninboy » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:05 pm

I've owned both.
National Duolian (Steel), /Dobro Duolian (Brass).
Steel is my preference.
Brass sounds dead to me, less responsive, less resonant and less sustain.
Steel sings more, just IMHO.
lightninboy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby NEONMOONY » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:13 pm

fretmondey wrote
Here's a thread where a member James Farrell put up to videos. one of a VS and one of a Style 1.

Thanks, I did see James Farrel's videos but didn't realize the Style 1 was brass. Just my lack of knowledge about Nationals.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby fretmonkey » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:40 pm

Here's what the Broz has to say on his www site - http://www.bobbrozman.com

"Most tricone models are made from brass. The Polychrome Tricones are made from steel - a NEW concept pioneered by National Reso-Phonic, in order to get that tricone sound into the hands of working musicians. There is no difference in the quality between a steel- and a brass-bodied guitar - only the type of metal and finish. The steel models are finished with a cool industrial powdercoat enamel in several colors. The brass-bodied models are nickel plated, with various ornamental engravings available. The finish makes NO difference in the sound, and the body material makes about a 5% difference in sound - not better or worse, JUST DIFFERENT. Again, if pressed, I would venture to say that the steel body has a very slightly more blues tone. The brass body has a very slightly more sophisticated tone, which INCLUDES that blues tone, but may work a little better than the steel when playing Hawaiian, jazz, or other kinds of music."

Hope tha that is helpful also.

FM
fretmonkey
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:44 pm

THANKS!
NEONMOONY
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues