Well, I got hosed

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Well, I got hosed

Postby guitarslim101 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:49 pm

A few months back, I bought what I believed to be a nitrocellulose finished replacement strat body on eBay from a company that was called DM (maybe DVM) guitars, or something of the sort. When we first recieved the body, I wasn't quite sure if the body was actually nitro, but I stupidly didn't check to see if it was until today. Well, it isn't. I paid &%)*ing $250 for a poly finished strat body. But, I did learn a valuable lesson...I'm never trusting anything on ebay again.

I'm not really sure what the point of this post was, I just needed to vent.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:53 pm

I just read yesterday (on a gunsmithing board) that Permatex Gasket Remover will remove polyurethane varnish.

Go over to http://frets.com/ and read the section on "French Polish." That's great stuff! Takes some elbow grease and patience, but little techinical skill. The finish is easily redone if you don't do it right the first time, or if it gets damaged later.

And here's a good place to buy whatever variety of shellac you like (there are a bunch of different kinds and colors): http://shellac.net/

Didja know that nitrocellulose lacquer was introduced as a cheap substitute for shellac?

That's what it still is.
:lol:
ricochet
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:58 pm

Thanks, Ric. I'll have to give that stuff a try.

I think I'll probably sell this one, but I still have the original body (which is a much nicer solid piece of alder) which I'll try to strip the poly finish off of and put shellac on.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby grady » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:16 pm

Dang Slim, I'm sorry to hear that Brother.
There's a lot of bad people on Ebay, Buyers AND Sellers.

What kills me is the way some buyers treat it like it's a freakin' yard sale or something. They try to "dicker" with you over the price, etc.

Recently, a potential buyer emailed me a message saying that he was interested in the Washburn ES-20 I had for sale. He said "Lower the starting bid by a couple hundred dollars and I'll consider bidding on it"

I told him to "F*ck off, I don't need your Bid"

The Guitar did sell the next day.
I ended up getting $55.00 less than what I spent on it new.
grady
Regular

Postby thebluesbox » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:55 pm

report the ebayer, if you used paypal you can report and dispute that the item was recieved not as discribed and paypal will get your money back no doubt. If you didnt use paypal you can file a dispute with ebay they are not as tuff on them as paypal is but ebay still has policy that protects the buyer and seller from this type of thing.
thebluesbox
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:01 am

I would report it but it's been so long (4 months or so) since we purchased it that the claim wouldn't really hold up...and my dad doesn't want the seller to get pissed and leave negative feed-back on my dad's account.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby bignick » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:18 pm

Slim, you really should report him. It doesn't matter if he leaves you negative feedback. You can contest it.

I would tell him that you checked the body to see if it is nitro and it isn't. Ask him how he would like to remedy the situation. That body is only probably worth $80 and he KNOWS he is hosing people but counts on the fact that people are too lazy and trusting to check for themselves, or to naive to know the difference.

He is in the wrong here, and other people should know that he isn't selling what he is advertising. Ebay should also know because guys like him are giving sellers a bad name.
bignick
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:15 pm

Yeah, I'll see if I can convince my pappy to report him.

-Edit-

The seller is no longer a registered user.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby thebluesbox » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:16 am

besides when most sellers see you open a dispute with them through ebay and paypal they get scared and try and work with you on settling it instead of getting the hammer, because what happens if yall dnt settle it ebay or paypal throws the book at him, he could have his account suspended or closed. So at worst he will follow up by making it good for you, and dont worry about the feedback he is more concerned about how to get out of the dispute with out messing up his own account.
thebluesbox
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues