Stomp Box

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Stomp Box

Postby Mississippi John » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:50 pm

Anyone using one of those precussion "stomp Boxes" made by a certain australian luthier?? Basically, it is a wood box with a piezzo p/u mounted in it plugged into an amplifier, that makes a nice stomp sound when you tap it with your foot.

I'd like to have a go at making one myself and could use some input if anyone is using one.

Thanks.
Mississippi John
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:33 pm

You could certainly get a referral at http://www.cigarboxguitars.com. They have a contact icon at their website. The CBG guys are foolin' around with that kind of stuff all the time. Very interesting website as well.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby guitarslim101 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:53 pm

I think Grady made one a year or two ago with an old box he had laying around and a cheap Radioshack mic.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby grady » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:15 pm

I made mine from raw Lumber and I use a Radio Shack Boundary mic to amplify it.
Mine sounds more like a kick drum than a wooden box.
You can hear it on my Soundclick page on the song "HillBilly Blues".
grady
Regular

Postby t bone bruce » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:21 pm

Funnily enough I was thinking of making one of these, I'm looking for a suitable box or piece of wood at the moment. It has to withstand being stomped on! I'm going to use a pizeo transducer, which can be had for less than £1, and I'm considering installing a volume control too.
t bone bruce
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:20 pm

t bone bruce wrote:Funnily enough I was thinking of making one of these, I'm looking for a suitable box or piece of wood at the moment. It has to withstand being stomped on!

I just use a piece of thick cardboard. Easy to fix to the ground with gaffer, sounds fine, can withstand plenty of vigorous stomping.

Piezo Buzzer: $3
Cardboard: $0
Stompbox: Priceless
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Mississippi John » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:50 pm

thanks for the input. For those of you who have made one, a few questions. I have at my disposal two pickups - 1. an old stick-on piezo for acoustic guitar, and 2. a thin under-the-saddle pickup. Any thoughts on which would be best?

Also, any thoughts on where to locate the P/U if the box is going to be about 6" square?

Lastly, does the box require a sound hole, or should it be closed?

Thanks again!
Mississippi John
Regular

Postby deltablues57 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:50 am

I was using an SM57 in a wooden Wine bottle box (the box that holds 3 bottles) with some packing foam to keep the mic from bouncing in the box. I bought a Porch Board which sounds great. Look on the web for porch board for info on it...Delta
deltablues57
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues