Roland Mini-Cube

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Postby bluesmcgoo » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:22 pm

Thanks Bubba!

I guess I missed it on their site.
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:33 pm

bluesmcgoo wrote:Thanks Bubba!

I guess I missed it on their site.
Well,2 is such a small number,lol.....; That little puke is loud though,when you're playin' alone. I used to take mine to band practice,and mic it up through the mains. It's one of the only solid state amps I could stand the sound of harp through. It must be the modelling circuitry, plus the built in delay feature. It works pretty good as a pre-amp as well. I bought mine mainly for battery powered jams though....I've got a coupla battery powered Crates so I'm dialed for those houseboat jams. If I play harp through it around any other solid state amps though, it'll feed back right away if you don't mic it.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 5_iron » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:15 pm

Well, I exchanged my faulty micro cube for another one - and NOW I can see what all the excitement's about. This thing is very cool. I don't need to rely on my stomp boxes with this amp. My strat plays nicely with just the amp's built in FX. An added bonus is my dobro amplifies well through the acoustic setting - I didn't expect that.

Great stuff! What a bargain...
5-iron
5_iron
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:58 pm

I'm assuming the headphones out jack would work to plug into a PA? Anyone have any experience here? My Micro Cube makes my biscut reso sound better than the amp I bought just for it. I'm Thinking of using it through our PA, and it could be a sweet little moniter in a situation like this...with the fx right there at my fingertips.
1four5
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:21 pm

I've sent a line out to the PA from the phone jack, and it's quite a diminished signal,so you you have to push it a fair bit; I actually purchased a signal matcher of some kind (I forget what they call it) and that worked better,but the signal device is about the size of a large wall wart,so it was one more thing to haul in my gear bag, and it's heavy (prob'ly over a pound,maby almost 2 lbs.). I'm sure you can do it without the matching device...it's just that I was running out of headroom,so I jus' did it. I was using the MicroCube as a pre-amp,basically for the nice delay on the amp,and because it's so small. Since I got the MicroCube, I've purchased a Holmes Harp Commander, so I don't know if I'd mess with the MicroCube in that situation; I think I'd jus' run the Commander with one of my little delay pedals,if I was goin' into a PA.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1four5 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:23 pm

Well, as it turns out...soon as you plug in the out jack (phones) you loose the amp (duh :oops: )...so no moniter, so yep, turns it into just a pre-amp. Well, as I LOVE the simplicity of this amp, and it's sound with my reso, yesterday we went down to the music store to try out the micro cube's 60 watt big brother. Same electronics, pretty much the same controll panel, same sound only much much bigger :D :D :D The 60W has a second panel in the back for line out, speaker out, and foot jacks for clean channel and FX on/off. The music store I went to is a local compeditor to the big Guitar Center we have...the second I mentioned that I could get it for internet (MF) price at GC, he knocked $20 off MF's price, and I took it home 8) As a bonus, the acoustic setting almost (the jury is still out) sounds better with my banjo than the 30w Crate acoustic amp I've been using.
1four5
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:35 pm

Onefer: watch out for one thing on the acoustic setting..... you may find out that it won't do the job for certain kinds of pickup devices. In otherwords, before you count on using it with any other acoustic instruments, be sure to try them aheada time, 'cuz some sounds will definitely reproduce better than others, and there's some instruments that may be unplayable on the acoustic setting,depending on the circuitry and the overtones produced on the instrument. BTW,I'll bet that 60 screams!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1four5 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:39 am

Yep! I agree totally...after two days, there aint much paint left on my living room walls :shock: ...I've pretty much determined I like my banjo through the cube's acustic setting more than any setting on the Crate acoustic amp, and the FX are a lot stronger with more range. The "presence" knob is a killer addition that the micro cube doesn't have, and makes a huge difference. However...the banjo becomes an uncontrollable monster when I stray into the amp models...sure is fun, but not something I see using. My P-90 equiped reso is the opposite, it's rather dull and muddy on the acoustic setting...but comes to life on the clean channel, and I love black panel the most. I think I'm pretty set for a long time...with more amp than I really needed...and loving it! :D
1four5
Regular

Previous

Return to Equipment Blues