Roland Mini-Cube

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Roland Mini-Cube

Postby bignick » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:12 pm

I was in GC today being that I had the day off, and I ended up playing through one of those little red Roland Mini-cubes. I ended up walking out with one about 30 minutes later. What a great little amp, must be perfect for busking.

I bought it because I wanted something small for recording, and something portable I could take with me to work for at lunch play.

WOW this thing has balls and a ton of DSP effects. All of them sound damn good too. I really like the Jazz Chorus setting for clean and the British Combo sounds great too, especially with a little echo or reverb effect.

Anyone else own one of these little things? I'm hooked.
bignick
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:46 am

Ha....you Sucker you!!!! :shock: 8) :D :D

The same exact thing happened to me last month! I went to GC looking for a birthday present for Tim3Finger...got him something, and when I wasn't looking, one of them little red cubes snuck into my car :wink: ...I LOVE that thing...and not only is it fun fun fun with a guitar, I'm having a RIOT with my electric banjo as well.
1four5
Regular

Postby juke_boy_bob » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:07 pm

Great little amp.....
With my Jimmie Vaughan Strat I mostly use the "marshall stack" setting, a a little gain, maybe a touch of reverb--some chorus occasionally.
Sounds fantastic!!

Other than colour, is there any diff. between the red and the black ones?
juke_boy_bob
Regular

Postby bignick » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:55 pm

No there are no differences between the colors. The red one is supposed to be a special edition or something but GC only had 2 that were black and 5 or 6 of the red ones.

I also messed up on the name, it is the Roland "Micro Cube" not "mini". Probably not a big deal but I thought there was a step up to a mini-cube that had a few more attributes.

My favorite settings so far are the Jazz Chorus, Acoustic, and Marshall Stack. I love the delay for a sustain boost. You can get some great Hendrix like tones out of that Stack setting. I haven't touched my tube amps since buying this thing. Perfect for what I do.
Last edited by bignick on Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bignick
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:57 pm

Joe Walsh is a big fan of those little Roland amps. I think he usually has one on stage and always has one in his dressing room.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby TheDude » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:49 am

Yeah, those cubes are really nice. The only thing that bugged me a little about the microcube was that because the speaker's so small... It distorts the bass notes too much on the clean channel. That's something you don't get with the bigger cubes.

But those British and Stack models are SWEET!
TheDude
Regular

Postby bignick » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:07 pm

For sure. I am convinced that you cannot find a better amp for busking or practicing.

It makes me wonder why I am sitting on my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. I haven't had it passed 2 on the volume. I am debating on trading it straight up for a Blues Jr. I just don't need that much amp.

I would lose about $150 on the deal, but I don't care.
bignick
Regular

Postby bluejay » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:21 pm

Search the archives and you will find previous discussions of the Micro Cube. I've posted comments/review info as have others. I've had mine for a couple years -- had a electronic buzz problem with my first and Roland finally sent me a new one throught the dealer.

I alternate between the Micro Cube and my little Pignose when I practice with my Tele. The Cube, with its many settings, certainly has something in there for most any guitar/pu combination. It certainly has more bottom end than the Pignose, but that's relative only to small-speakered battery-powered practice/travel amps. Cranking up the gain can quickly overwhelm the speaker, from my experience.

I've run my Martin acoustic with "Woody" pu through the Micro Cube and it did well, not on the acoustic setting, but on the Brit (Vox AC30) setting.
bluejay
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:32 pm

I've used mine at band practices for my harp,with delay on the blackface setting. It's serviceable as a harp practice amp; loud enough to send the cat to the veterinarian for psycho-therapy.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby De Ferre » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:59 am

I also got one, mainly to practice with the lapsteel... and a bit of delay.
I like it!
De Ferre
Regular

Postby bignick » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:47 pm

I'm changing gears a little bit, and planning on putting a bunch of new tracks up on my soundclick/myspace pages and they will probably all feature this amp because it sounds great at such low volume.

These settings are killer.
bignick
Regular

Postby 5_iron » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:43 pm

Well I bought one and I really, really was hoping I'd like this thing. Unfortunately I'll need to return it. Is mine just a lemon? I use metal finger picks and the amp throws off an electronic "pop" every time the metal picks contact my guitar strings. Happens with all my electric guitars, and happens on all amp settings. It's not caused by plucking the strings - when I simply contact (however lightly) the string it throws off the popping sounds, like static pops or something. Also there's a lot of buzz and hum in general on mine. I hit certain notes and the amp just buzzes horribly.

Disappointing because it sounds like a lot of you have had great experiences with this thing. Not so with me. Darn.

5-iron
5_iron
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:49 pm

Sounds like a grounding problem. Not sure what you can do about it, though. That's a battery-operable amp that can run with no grounding.
ricochet
Regular

Postby bluesmcgoo » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:07 pm

Nick, What's the wattage on the micro cube?

I've looked at a number of info sources for it, and I can't find a wattage listed anywhere.

Also, did you try out any of the higher wattage Cube amps?
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:12 pm

According to Roland's site,the wattage is 2 when it's plugged in. I don't know what it is on the batteries.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Equipment Blues