Need some advice from you guys

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Need some advice from you guys

Postby cowboyjake » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:41 pm

Here's the scenario

I have a fender f-65 acoustic--flat top--no pickup--I play a lotta bottleneck slide with it--sometimes busking out doors--sometimes open mike nights--sometimes just sittin' down jammin with other players...

I don't mind jammin' acoustic, or even workin a stage with a guitar miked if I have too, but I like movin' around, playin' standin' up and it's gettin' to be a pain losin my sound cause I forget I gotta keep the sound hole so many inches away from a mike.

I'd like to plug in on those occasions

Now should I (a) get a sound-hole pickup or (b) get somebuddy to put a pickup in it for me or (c) by a cheepie wholesaler generic guitar with a pickup already in it or (d) wait around forever for a real good deal on a Les Paul (a knock off will do if it feels good and gotsa little mojo?

Waddya guys think?
I value your opinions

p.s. I'm always on a super tight budget

ain't we all?

Jake
cowboyjake
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:20 pm

Piezo pickups work fine for an "acoustic" sound, but I've found them to make horrible shrill squeals with sliding.
ricochet
Regular

Postby straightblues » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:22 pm

I have an old DeArmond sound hole pickup. I works good for what you are trying to do. You can take it in and out easily. You can find them on Ebay for less than $100. They are great for a gritty blues sound. However, they don't do the clean soft accoustic sounds to well if that is what you are going for.
straightblues
Regular

Postby lightninboy » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:00 pm

Get a soundhole p/up.
lightninboy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby grady » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:21 pm

LR Baggs I-Beam would be my first choice.

I had a Martin 00-15 with a active Martin/Fishman Thinline pickup in it that sounded great plugged in for Slide.

Anytime you're using a Acoustic plugged in, a LR Baggs Paracoustic DI is a absolute neccessity.
Can't live without mine.
grady
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:08 am

If you want to try a piezo for little $$$ then the three buck Radio Shack doorbell is the way to go. Ric is right though - they tend not to sound great with slide. The shrill piezo quack just gets emphasised. Soundhole pickups are great - cheap, you can install 'em yourself, don't require any damage to your guitar and they sound great with a bottleneck. There's a cheap Fishman one which I guite like.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Re need some advice from you guys

Postby cowboyjake » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:09 pm

Thanks for all the great replies ... looks like the soundhole pickup wins out hands down ...that's the way I'm gonna go!

Didn't know before that piezo's aren't the greatest for slide, even without that knowledge, I was reluctant to drill a hole in my good ol road companion ...

Thanks for puttin this ol cowboy on the right trail

yu guys are the greatest !!!

Jake

P.s. Now to find just the right one!!
decisions decisions

:( :o
cowboyjake
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues