more on the amp

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

more on the amp

Postby page89 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:31 am

A 30 watt tube amp would be loud enough for jamming and small gigging, right?
page89
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:36 am

Definitely! A 30 watt tube amp will blow your house's walls down. Remember,for giggin',you can always mic the amp thru the mains,so you don't need big power. A 30 watt solid state amp will prob'ly not be as loud.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stratman_27 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:04 pm

30 watts of tube power is just about perfect for most sized clubs and more than enough for rehearsals and jams. My Classic 30 keeps up with my buddies twin easy enough. One hint though if your looking a like say a 1-12 combo vs a 2-12 combo of the same wattage the 2-12 will be a little louder because 2 speakers move more air.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby page89 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:10 pm

I'm gonna buy a Peavey Delta Blues 2x10 for $350. It's only about a year used, too. Thanks for the help, guys.
page89
Regular

Postby straightblues » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:57 am

Great amp for the price. You can't go wrong.
straightblues
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:05 am

Good deal man. I think you'll like the sound of the 2 -10 should be a little tighter than the 15 inch version. I've heard some say that the 15 delta blues gets a little muddy when you crank it.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby bosco » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:19 pm

Remember, for giggin', you can always mic the amp thru the mains, so you don't need big power.

Insufficient power don't cut it either. As you probably guessed by now, I'm not a big fan of miking amps through the PA for a variety of reasons. First you lose total control of your sound. If you mike one instrument, you might as well mic 'em all to have some control over the balance. Now you have overkill and have provided an open invitation to uninvited feedback guests. Avoid it at all costs.

Out of several hundred gigs over the last several years, I've only miked my amp a handful of times for festivals and 1,500 seat auditoriums.

The 30 watt 2 x 10 should serve you well. Those make great harp amps too, in case you didn't know!

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:30 pm

Bosco: I agree with you that you shouldn't mic the amp if you don't need to. I try to be conscientious about my tone as well, but since YOU front an active giggin' band, and I'M a sideman who primarily jus' sits in with bands for a set or two mostly, we definitely play under different circumstances. I've spent more time in the last two years playin' through 58s eq'd for voice than I have since college (over 30 years ago). I've learned one thing: even if you can't get exactly the sound set-up you want, you can still bring down the house. I've learned how to cup a 58 on a stand without touching it,for example (you can picture that). Of course,you don't get nearly the brown tone, but alot of the tone comes from inside your body in the first place. All I'm sayin' is that even though I prefer to gig with my Peavey 30 Classic,down-tubed, through my delay,using my Green Bullet, I've learned to do fine right through a 58 into the mains.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:52 pm

Hey Bubba-

Not knockin' your statement, miking an amp is always an option... just giving Page89 my .02 cents worth and saying that I don't care for it much. I've had some bad experiences with sound guys miking damn near everything on stage and then not being able to isolate where the feedback is coming from. Story for another day.

Now, playing harp through the PA using the vocal mic is an entirely different subject. I do that 4 or 5 times each night through my SM58 just for variety and the cleaner, more-out-front sound on some piedmont style blues and rockabilly numbers we have. I don't cup the vocal mic much though, it tends to piss off the band when they get too much harp through the stage monitors. I certainly respect your ability to harp through vocal mics EQ'ed for vocals, there's a real art to that. :wink:

keep on harpin'...

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:55 pm

Bosco: I didn't take your comment as any kind of offense...I'm jus' bringin' up a few other aspects of this topic of riggin',and power. I've also been successful at gettin' sound guys to feed less of my mic thru the monitors without diminishing the gain thru the mains. I agree that especially singers do not wanna hear any background harp comping coming thru their monitors when they're trying to sing. I worked with a novice female vocalist for a while who got all screwed up jus' havin' a harp in the mix...she didn't last long; musta went back to karaoke. She could sure sing though,and was cuter 'n a bug's ear.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Equipment Blues