Pedalboard Setup?

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Pedalboard Setup?

Postby 5_iron » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:08 am

So for you pedal hounds...how do you guys keep your stomp boxes organized? Never worried about it with just a tube screamer, but now I also got a compressor, sansamp simulator, digitech processor, and a vox wah and volume pedal are not far behind. Things are starting to get messy.

Looking for recommendations on budget friendly pedalboard setup - board itself, power source, daisy chains, patches... And hopefully a setup that won't add noise and hum to my chain since I do some home recording. I don't gig but I'll lug it to some jams. Otherwise it will stay in my studio for practicing and home recording.

Any ideas that can get me set up? Under $200?

Thanks
5-iron
5_iron
Regular

Postby lightninboy » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:24 am

5_iron,
You can do it yourself, with a piece of thick plywood/board, and a power supply.
I had mine done by my tech 12 years ago.
Work out the order and positioning of the pedals.
Then, undo the base plate of the pedal, and using the base plate as a template, mark the 4 screw holes on to the board. Drill right through the ply, with a drill bit large enough to fit a screwdriver and the screw heads right through.
Then, drill 2 holes in the base plate, somewhere around the middle, just large enough for a screw, and screw the base plate to the ply, lining up the 4 holes.
Then place the pedal on the base plate, and fix the screws, using the 4 holes you have already drilled, from underneath.

Or you could use velcro, but thats kind of a temporary thing.

Its important to have the right order.

Compression first, then overdrive-distortion, then your chorus/delay type effects.

My board consists of:
Volume pedal-Tuner (which runs off a separate lead through the volume pedal)-Boss Comp-Chandler Tube Driver-Marshall Shredmaster-Boss Chorus-Boss Delay-Boss power supply.
Mine has some fancy wiring, and a resistor on the tuner lead, but apart from that, its simple. You can buy the daisy chain lead for the power supply. My tech took the prongs off the power supply, and soldered an electric lead to it, then screwed it to the board.
It's a professional job, looks good, sounds great, and was cheap.
I don't get any hum, except when the tuner is left on, which is a problem that couldn't be solved, so I just turn it off after I've tuned up.
I've used this rig for 1000's of gig's, and its rarely let me down.
I've had to rewire it a couple of time's, but thats to be expected after so much work.
I've had rack mount gear in the past, worth big bucks, but I always come back to my trusty pedal board.
lightninboy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stratman_27 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:00 am

I just built mine last night so let me chime in. I have several pedals I use and needed to get them to set up quickly and easily. I looked at several designs of pedalboards and none really suited me. I used scrap plywood and some 1x4 abd 1x8's that I had laying around the garage. My pedal board is a two tiered design that gets the stompboxed above the level of the volume pedal and wah. My main concern was being able to activate the pedals quickly without looking like I'm tip toeing thru the tulips on a crowded board. Other than needing a couple more longer patch cables it worked out very well. I covered the bare wood with a brown vinyl from Wal Mart and it looks very professional. Most boards you can buy in music stores or online are going to set up back at least two hundred or more if its got a power supply. Here what mine cost me.

Scrap Lumber---Free I'd estimate about $20-25 if yuu had to buy
Brown Vinyl--- 2yards $8
Industrial Strength Velcro ---$8
Labor---- My times cheap

So for roughly $16 I have a sturdy board set up my way. I saved enough to buy more pedals if necessary. As far as power supplies go I bought a One Spot that has 5 outlets and can daisy chain with another adapter. It seems to work very well and powers most pedals. It works good live and I don't notice any noise from it but I don't know if it would produce noise in a studio setting. The Voodoo Labs is kinda the industry standard for power supplies but then again its $170 vs. about $35 for a 1 SPot and daisy chain.

Good Luck and when I get a chance I'll post a pic of my board.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:15 am

You can do it yourself, with a piece of thick plywood/board, and a power supply.

I made mine of plywood and I used wide, industrial strength velcro. I covered the bottom of the entire pedal and put generous amounts of the bottom velcro on the board. Sometimes, I'll take and individual pedal or two to a jam and that's why I use the velcro instead of the permanent mounting. Also, easier to change batteries on some pedals that require removing the back if you're going to keep batteries in them. I mounted a power strip, for handy power, and power supply to the board.

I painted the plywood with clear polyurethane first so that the sticky side of the velcro sticks but doesn't pull up wood parts (and the bottom piece of the velcro) if you remove the pedal.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby 5_iron » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:15 pm

Thanks guys. I like the do-it-yourself suggestions. Those are great ideas. I think I can swing that...

In terms of sequencing my signal chain, like lightninboy mentions - is this correct for my boxes?

vol pedal =>boss comp => tube screamer =>amp

Where would the wah fit in the chain?

Thanks again fellas.
5-iron
5_iron
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:37 pm

There the debate where to place your wah in the signal chain. Many like the sound of the tube screamer in front of the wah and others prefer the wah after the TS. My overall preference is distortion after the wah that way the wah colors the input to the distortion not where the wahs output gets distorted. Now heres my dilema I run a Voodoo Superfuzz and a Sparkle Drive (TubeScreamer clone) I would like to run both behind the wah but the fuzz makes the wah make funny sounds that aren't funny. So I run the fuzz then wah then sparkle drive. Try them in both order and see what you like best. You will definetly hear a difference depending on which comes first.

Here's the order on my Rig:

Guitar
Volume Pedal
Superfuzz
Wah
Sparkle Drive
Micro Vibe
Boss Rotary Ensemble(Leslie)
Amp

I find this to be the most versatile tone wise. I can do from ultra clean to Hendrix with just a couple switches once my amp is set up I don't adjust anything but the volume.
Hope this helps
stratman_27
Regular

Postby jaybee » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:55 pm

I have a nice collection of pedals, throw everything in a bag, pick and choose while setting up (and during soundcheck - and during waiting till gig starts - and during breaks - and sometimes even between songs :roll: , this usually meaning everything is thrown out of the signal chain except Wah and OD...)

available:

Vox Wah
BOSS sd-1 (2 of them, one I bought in the early 80's, another one I bought as backup in case the old girl decides to quit on me)
Ibanez TS-9
T-Rex Dr Swamp (actually a dual OD - separate drive shared tone & level, on/off and A/B switch)
Ibanez compressor
Ibanez Delay
Visual Sound H2O: delay + chorus
Boss Volume pedal
BOSS tuner

available but rarely taken:

BOSS GT-3
Roland RE-800 (used for reverb with my Laney LC-15)

when I go to a jam, I usually take the BOSS tuner (just to tune up before I go on stage, leave it in the guitar bag) and any OD - no need to bring more than I can stuff in the guitar bag...
jaybee
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:07 pm

stratman_27 wrote:There the debate where to place your wah in the signal chain. Many like the sound of the tube screamer in front of the wah and others prefer the wah after the TS.
And some may like the wah behind the Tube Screamer, while yet others may prefer the TS before the wah.
:lol:
ricochet
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:18 am

Ric don't miss much or there's not much Ric don't miss.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:52 pm

Oops.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby straightblues » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:23 pm

I built a big two tier pedal board to fit 10 pedals. At first I hard mounted them. The I learned early on that I wanted to change the order of effects from time to time. I almost immediately switched to velcro to secure them. The big board is great for messing around at home, but when I go to jams or play with groups other than my own, I like to keep it simple. For this I have a strip of plywood that fits three effects. I just covered it in indoor/outdoor carpet. The carpet holds onto the velcro on the bottom of the effects fine. An old suitcase from the thrift store or garage sale works nicely to carry around your board.

I use a Boss TU2 tuner. It powers several other effects with a daisy chain. I just use a regular power strip to power anything that needs to be plugged in. The best patch cords I have used are the George L's.

If you want to buy a cheap premade pedal case, try http://www.rondomusic.net
straightblues
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues