Overheard in the guitar store

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Overheard in the guitar store

Postby jellyroll baker » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:01 am

Went pedal shopping today. It's something I do every now and then. I'm not really sure why, I don't really like pedals and I never buy anything. Still, it keeps me out of mischief. Anyway, I overheard a friendly salesmen giving a customer some shopping advice. Comparing two amps, same manufacturer, different wattage, 10 and 12 inch speakers, big difference in price I overheard this gem of salesmanship,
"Of course, this one will sound better because the bigger speaker gives more tone."

I have to say, I came very close to butting into that conversation and giving some free advice. Alas, the world isn't ready for guitar-store superheroes.

What other gems of pointless and/or misleading information have you heard in your GAS career?
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby deltablues57 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:40 pm

I was in a crappy mom and pop music store (ya know the one with dusty plastic flutes, accordians, pianos and lots of sheet music from the 60's). There was a poor sap at the counter paying list price for a Shure SM57. Man I had to bite my tongue to keep from telling him he was getting screwed.
deltablues57
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:22 pm

I like the ones that come out like "Buy (insert overpriced item here) and you'll sound just like (insert name here).

During the 80's it was Buy a Kramer guitar and a Marshall stack and you'll be Eddie Van Halen.

I get tickled at players on some of the other boards that buy an artist signature model guitar, get the same amp and buy all the effects a particular artist uses and then are sourly disappointed when they can't get the same sound as the artist. That being said I do own a JH 1 Wah (Dunlops Hendrix model) but I just preferred it over the standard Dunlop. Hendrix actually played a Vox wah anyway.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby voneville » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:36 pm

I've only been to 2 guitar stores I really liked over the years. One of them closed, the other one is still around, but too far to shop at unless I want to buy guitars online, which I don't normally do.

One sales guy wanted to give me 50 dollars trade for my mint silverface bassman head because people only want the blackface bassman. Okay, it was true at the time, but still, it was worth $250-300 retail, $50 dollars was insulting. I did sell it for $200 to one of my prefered shops. Wish I still had it, sounded awesome through my 2-15 cab.
voneville
Contributor
Contributor

Postby goldbrick » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:31 am

Delta

Talk about weird hi prices--have you ever been to that joint at 84 and pine Island in davie-- Lots of no name gits at crazy $$$
goldbrick
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:59 am

I had a guy at my local GC tell me that Epiphone makes all of their instruments left and right handed. I looked at him and told him, "Um, no they don't."
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby savage » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:14 pm

haha, this is funny, I've heard so many rediculous things come out of the mouths of music store salesmen. I think you should interrupt them. I mean, it sounds like a whole heap of work to start an arguement with a salesman over his lies, but I mean, someones gonna waste their money and will continue to be mislead if you dont set it straight. I've had salesmen try to sell me guitars with completely destroyed pots and electronics and try to pass them for brand new guitars, amps with incorrect wiring, and all kinds of lies were let out to cover up for the faulty equipment. I once had a salesman at Sam Ash try to convince me that the buzzing and booming comin out of an amp was distortion. The amp was clearly wasted. I just laughed and walked away.

I know that thyeyre just tryin to make money, but its pretty much stealing if you lie to someone so you can get commission. I know that I for one would appreciate someone tellin me the truth about somethin that I couldnt decipher myself. Especially when it comes to somethin as delicate and costly as musicial equipment.
savage
Regular

Postby 601blues » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:31 pm

:shock: I had ordered a 356 figured From a Gibson dealer in Jackson Mississippi, They would not complete the order till some money was put down on the guitar, So I wanted it bad and I drove to Jackson about an Hr,and a half, 1st time at this store and it was huge and a good selection of gibbys and fenders,I went to the counter to get the show on the road so to speak, and the sales boy and two others were talkin bout the Blues, and really trashin it ,one said anybody can play three cords!! and I asked what three cords can you play?? G, A , D ,was one reply, I said dat ain't da blues, Son! Anyway the boy asked if he could help me, Yes I want to get a 356 figured, ordered,and overnighted if possiable, So he had to call another guy, and he asked what color, I said I wanted faded Cherry, They Don't make a faded Cherry, in a 356,he said!! Yes they do I was talkin to gibson this morning in memphis and they have them,and they sent me here to complete the order, Well maybe they misunderstood you,cause they don't make a faded cherry!! Look I said can you call gibson and ask for Berry, and I gave him the number, I also told him I wanted it overnighted, He also said gibson would not do that , I said if Iam payin they will fly it if I wanted!!!He called gibson and found out they were waitin for me to get there and place the order, and they said it would be there by noon the next day!! After the call He asked if I knew what that cost,I said no please tell me!! he wrote it up and took me to the cashier,and stood there as the girl rang it up to see how I was goin to pay??I pulled out a wad of 100s and started countin, he disappeared, after I paid I gave this jerk my cell # and told him I was stayin in Jackson overnight and to call me when it arrived!! Next day he called me and I went to pick it up!! When I got there I went to the counter, this guy was busy,and on the counter was a guitar case with BB King on it, when he finialy got to me I asked where was my axe, he said here and started to open the BB King case!! I said hold up this ain't my guitar its BBs, he laughed, and I said I ain't laughin! this is not gonna work I can't have a BB King case!! He said ,you don't like BB,? Yes I do, but I don't ware his pants either,get me another case, Iam not gonna carry a case around with sombodys name on it!! Thats BS, Iam callin gibson, and started dialin, Then the guy stops me,and sez hold on lets see what we can do and he asked a guy is this the right case?? The guy said they just put in that case cause it was a better case!!I said either you give me the case it came in or give me my money! now! then they brought me the case it came in which is much better!! Then they tried to convience me they were tryin to do me a favor!! yeah right!! Ive never been back there!!
601blues
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:02 am

As a sales manager in a new and used car store, I can tell you that it's not always possible to control everything that the salespeople tell customers. In the case of our store, we supply them with a 2 week introductory training course,in house, and provide them with ongoing training in the form of on-line courses provided by the manufacturers,and some off-site training. I used to be surprised when we would go over stuff in detail during the training period,and a month or two later, the salesperson would forget everything he was taught. Customers will occasionally complain to management when something totally errant comes out of a salesperson's mouth,but it is rare,and I suspect that most of the time it occurs,we just lose the customer without the managament ever becoming aware of it. We try to address ongoing issues,and reinforce the way we want things done, in twice-weekly sales meetings,and even this does not insure 100% compliance. If music stores do not provide at least this level of training and monitoring, I would expect customers to be at the mercy of poorly prepared sales people.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:46 am

My personal slant on this poor attitude from sales people is just that many have idle, sloppy, ignorant and offensive personalities , and how they do the job is how they live.

I have come across people in warehouses, behind desks, all sorts of places and they are everywhere. All we can do is cause enough disturbance in their mediocre lives that they either hand you on to a human being or sharpen up at least when you're there.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bournio » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:22 pm

I went into Rimmers, looking at semi/hollowbodied guitars, they had a lovely ES135 for 2,500 or summat like that I asked politely after trying out the ones in my £500 price range, "Do you mind if I play that, see what I think of it?" the guy in the shop came out with "You don't want one of them, you want a Les Paul Standard" that just made me go Blah! I'd spent an hour in there trying semi hollow guitars, then he tells me, I'd be better with a solid body guitar, not based on my personal opinion but the fact that he seemed to think I'd be ok to spend twice the amount I was intending on spending!

Although, in Cleveleys(England, not sure if you yanks have a cleveleys) there is a shop called Dakamakiz, the guy in that shop is a genius! You ask him anything, price of guitars, what he thinks would suit you, what he likes, he gives you his honest opinion!
Bournio
Regular

Postby deltablues57 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:03 pm

the guy on state road 84 does most of his selling on the web. He carries junk and wants top dollar plus 10%
deltablues57
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:37 pm

Im surprised he can pay the rent there. He doesn't care for it much if you actually try and a play a guitar either
As you know were kind of limited in SoFla---Its Mae or Guitar Center ( Sam Ash doesn't seem to carry much decent stuff at all any more and were always hard to deal with imho)
goldbrick
Regular

Postby jaybee » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:33 pm

leftyguitarman wrote:I had a guy at my local GC tell me that Epiphone makes all of their instruments left and right handed. I looked at him and told him, "Um, no they don't."

OF COURSE they use both their right AND their left hands while making them :D :lol: 8)
jaybee
Regular

Postby blues power » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:46 pm

im like you JR. I try all kinds of pedals and boxes and dont buy anything..

The only 1 i use is an OCD and thats occasionally.

most music store employees by me arent worth the price of the shoes theyre walking in.

i had one standing over me last week in GC while checking out a Super reverb.

he kept asking me what my price range was and how much am i looking to spend.

after abot 20 minutes of belting out bluies licks he finnaly asked me what style music i play. So now im pssed. I said dude dont you have anything else to do. im not buying anything today. and off he went.

the week B4 that i went to check out guitars with P-90's. the salesmen told me the best one ever was the one in my hand. and that was the guitar for me and it had the tone I was looking for.
A gibby faded special for $749.00. and he knew all this b4 I even plugged in. lol
blues power
Regular

Next

Return to Equipment Blues