amp

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

amp

Postby page89 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:23 am

I'm gonna buy a used amp but Im not sure waht to get. My friend's dad has been playing guitar for like 40 yrs so he can get me a good deal from one of his friends. I think Im gonna spend about $400 - $500. Any suggestions?
page89
Regular

Postby t bone bruce » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:55 am

I'm going to answer your question with some questions: What do you plan to do with it? If you're going to be gigging small to medium size venues then your needs are different from just wanting an amp to practice at home. What instruments are you going to play through it? What sort of blues are you going to play? Do you want high gain or a cleaner sound?
Without knowing this we're not going to be able to suggest a suitable amp for you. You should be able to get a good amp for the money though.
t bone bruce
Regular

Re:amps

Postby slickcat » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:19 pm

+1 ........ Like T-Bone said. Give us more info there are plenty of amps out there in that range. You just playing at home? or a garage band or small gig's? What type of music you play? I guess if your here you like blues...but even that ranges from Delta blues to BB king to Hendrix and Gary Moore! :shock:
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

more info

Postby page89 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:02 pm

I play a Fender Stratocaster and am playing in a garage band. We will be doing small (probably not medium) sized gigs. I like to play bluesy led zeppelin and jimi hendrix type stuff and other classic rock too. I like too play with gain but sometimes I switch to cleaner sounding stuff. I just want a good tube amp that I can use to play lead guitar with a band and not be droned out by all the other instruments. I'd like it too sound good too of course.

Thanks
page89
Regular

Postby thebluesbox » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:38 pm

Fender Pro Jr.
Fender blues Jr.
Fender Cyber twin
Fender Blues deluxe
Fender hotrod Deluxe
_________________ or

Peavey Delta Blues
Peavey classic 30

Then there are the vintage stuff
silvertone 1483 - 1484 2x12
silvertone 1482 - 1x12
silvertone 1471 - 1x8

Gibson GA-20-GA30-skylark-discoverer
these all have from 8' - 12' speakers.

I have heard, read and known good things about all of the above, just to throw out a few good names, coarse im not a guitar player I do know a few, some of which play or have played these amps.
thebluesbox
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:12 am

Do try out that Peavey Delta Blues with the single 15" speaker.
ricochet
Regular

Amps

Postby slickcat » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:31 am

I would suggest a Peavey Classic 30 or Delta Blues these are both great combos and are real popular.
I also like the Fender Blues Deluxe or Re-issue Deluxe reverb.
You can get some nice clean tones plus some classic blues-rock overdrive with all of them.

Some less popular amps that sound good are Tech 21 trademark 60; Vox ad 50vt; and roland cube amps. (Just in case you aint a "tube " guy)

Just remember solid state amps need much more wattage than tube amps. Otherwise when you get loud you'll hear that nasty transistor/digital clipping.
In my opinion if your used to a 30watt tube amp and you switch to digital or solid state you should almost double the power for equal results.
(30 tube...60 solid state.) I know I may get flamed for that comment , but its been true in my experience. 8)
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stratman_27 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:18 am

I've got a Classic 30 that just flat out wails. Whether its chimey clean tones your after or saturated bluesy overdrive. I use a fuzz, wah, leslie simulator, microvibe, and sparkle drive in front of the amp and it takes pedals very well. But it shines on its own. I posted on the Gigs board that I kept up nicely with my bandmate playing his Fender Twin at a gig the other nite. The C30 is for sure loud when you want it to be.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby thebluesbox » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:27 am

They make a Pveay Delta blues in a 2x10.
If Peavey is your flavor.
thebluesbox
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:35 am

Yep. I just love that 15.
ricochet
Regular

Postby grady » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:06 am

After owning a huge lot of amps, I currently have 2 favorites,

Fender Pro Jr
Epiphone Valve Standard

Another favorite of mine is the Fender '59 Bassman
grady
Regular

Postby bignick » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:52 am

My strat sounds great through my Hot Rod Deluxe. However, Fender is not known for their overdrive. The clean channel is unbelievable but the two OD channels really lack in the rythm department. Too much mush. Not bad for lead though.

I keep mine on the clean channel and use a Bad Monkey for a boost. That works really well and a Screamer or the Monkey will sound better than the other two channels.
bignick
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues