Just got the Tubulator

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Just got the Tubulator

Postby sweetness » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:57 pm

Picked up an Arion Tubulator pedal. $11.99 plus shipping from MF. I think it was Ricochet who said he'd seen some good reports on another board. Got very positive reviews at HC, so I took the plunge. :D

My gear: Affinity Strat with 87 Japanese Squier pickups, Epiphone Junior Head, Peavey 1x10 cab, Dunlop 535Q Crybaby.

I also have a Boss BD-2 with Keeley mod. So why did I get this pedal? I'm not crazy about the sound of the BD-2 with this head/amp combination. Just too gritty for my tastes. Everyone compares the tubulator to the tube screamer. Never having played a TS, I can't comment on that.

But the tubulator does give a real nice creamy distortion, which I really like. It can also just fatten up the tone a bit while retaining the creaminess, depending on where I set the distortion. The only downside so far is a bit of "boxiness" sometimes. Don't know how else to describe it, but a bit of a plastic sound? Maybe somebody more knowledgeable knows what I'm talking about and can provide the right term.

Anyway, I think this one's a keeper. And as I said before, God, I love cheap stuff.

Sweetness
sweetness
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:19 pm

Cool. In one of my old bands, the bass player had an Arion bass distortion that sounded pretty good. He used to hide his pot in the battery compartment...then his dad found it. He wasn't a very smart guy.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:13 pm

All right!

It's been pointed out over there on http://valvejunior.com/ that the Tubulator's circuitry is essentially identical to the Tube Screamer 808.
ricochet
Regular

Postby sweetness » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:05 pm

After a few more days of fiddling with it --- starting to sound "boxy" to my ears. Switched over to my blues driver and no boxiness. Hmm.

Back to the lab!

Sweetness
sweetness
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:32 pm

If this one isn't working out for you, you could always drop another $15 on one of those Danelectro Fab overdrive boxes. I've heard nice things about those.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:17 am

What does "boxy" sound like?

"Oooooh... Boxy Lady!"
:lol:
ricochet
Regular

Postby sweetness » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:58 pm

ricochet wrote:What does "boxy" sound like?

I guess the best way to describe it is that it sounds kind of hollow and perhaps a bit of an echo there. Not smooth and full.

Does that make any sense?

Sweetness
sweetness
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:04 pm

"Hollow" makes sense to me.

That's a sound you get from having the mids scooped out. More low and high frequencies, not so much in the middle.
ricochet
Regular

Postby sweetness » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:11 pm

ricochet wrote:"Hollow" makes sense to me.

That's a sound you get from having the mids scooped out. More low and high frequencies, not so much in the middle.

Now that's interesting, because the reviews on HC say that this pedal has "plenty of mids", "thick groaning mids", etc. I'll have to go back and play with the tone dial and see if it makes a difference. I don't recall that it did.

So are scooped mids what you want if you play metal, or what?

Thanks,
Sweetness
sweetness
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:14 pm

I don't want scooped mids on a guitar, but I believe the metalheads do. Then they think they need 6KW amps, because most of a guitar's output is in the mids.
ricochet
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:00 pm

The metalheads do enjoy the scooped mid tone, but I try my best to get my metalhead friends to turn up the mids on their amps and they often like the result.
guitarslim101
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues