Pawnshop find! Help me out!

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Pawnshop find! Help me out!

Postby bignick » Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:48 pm

I was in the local pawnshop today with my Father In Law and found this. I told them it had a bad pot and that I would have to do some work and they let it go for $100 with a case.

It is an 82 Japanese made Squier Bullet. It sounds GREAT and the neck plays like an American Tele Standard. I have no idea what the old Kahler-looking locking nut is above the original nut though. Some of these came with Kahler Trems that were similar. This one didn't. Can anyone give me some more info on it? I am curious to know if this may retain some worth. The Japanese Fenders are pretty collectible and this is the intro to Squier.

bignick
Regular

Postby grady » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:14 pm

That locking nut is HIDEOUS !!!

It's worth a Hundred bucks.

First thing ya gotta do is rip that Locking nut off.
It's ridiculous to have a Locking Nut on a Guitar that doesn't have fine Tuners on the Trem.

That Tremelo is never gonna stay in tune.
I'd block it off.
grady
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:25 pm

I don't think that locking nut is original.
ricochet
Regular

Postby bignick » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:42 pm

Yeah I don't think its original either. I have never seen anything like it. I already dissambled the bridge to clean and adjust the pivot screws so that it rests flat against the body and I added another tremolog spring.

The locking nut thing has adjusters that adjust the angle of the string after it passes over the original nut, then it locks it. I'll probably take it off though.
bignick
Regular

Postby grady » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:13 am

Yeh, that's definitely not Stock.

Adding the springs is a good idea.
grady
Regular

Postby bignick » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:29 am

Well it may not be stock, but after some research I found out that a lot of Japanese made my Squier Strats, particularly the E series had very early Kahler like trems with that exact nut on them.

Whoever had it either purchased one of these nuts or jacked it from another Japanese Fender of the time.

The neck is dated 84. I am doing more research to find out what they were made out of but they are actually quite collectible. The Squier 51s of that period.

A lot of folks bought these guitars for the necks...which is phenomenal. I almost want to throw it on my Fender Deluxe.

I would have payed 100 for the neck alone. I am happy with my purchase. When not playing reso I am a Fender hound.
bignick
Regular

Postby trguitar » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:48 am

Could it be a neck off a different one? One that had the Kahler trem?
trguitar
Regular

Postby bignick » Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:36 am

That is very possible too. I guess a lot of parts swapping went on with these guitars.

I have the stock Fender knobs on it now, I removed the locking nut, flattened the trem to the body, adjusted the saddles, threw some new strings on there and added a couple tremelo screws.

It sounds great! It turns out the crackling and phasing out that occurred in the pawnshop was actually just their crappy cable. I am totally digging the pickups in this thing.

A winner for sure. Although...my GAS has to be over for awhile. That is guitar number 9. The wife says that 2 have to go before another enters the house, and I would have to agree with her.
bignick
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:39 am

bignick wrote:A winner for sure. Although...my GAS has to be over for awhile. That is guitar number 9. The wife says that 2 have to go before another enters the house

Just keep 'em in the shed.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bignick » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:15 pm

Above I said I added Tremolo screws. I meant to say "springs". Here is the final product. I'll probably leave this one alone for awhile.

bignick
Regular

Postby warren » Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:18 pm

that looks really nice....it's hard to find deals at pawnshops anymore because of ebay...but once in awhile you do!

I picked up a peavey classic 20 in excellent condition from a mom and pop pawn shop a vfew months ago for $100 bucks!

ww
warren
Regular

Postby trguitar » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:15 pm

Now that looks better. You got yourself a nice guitar there and it is unique. Cheap guitar when it was new, vintage instrument now. Cool!
trguitar
Regular

Postby bendaway » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:49 am

bignick wrote: The neck is dated 84.

Your guitar isn't a 1982. It is 1984 or newer. In 1982 Fender Bullet guitars were still being made in the USA. In late 1982 I bought a new Bullet Deluxe. Had a body shaped like a tele but narrower, rosewood tele style neck, hardtail strat bridge and two mustang/musicmaster type pickups.
bendaway
Regular

Postby bignick » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:56 am

From the start I thought it was an 83 or 84. The neck date confirmed it to be an 84 as did the SQ plus 5 digit serial on the neck plate.
bignick
Regular

Postby jaybee » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:35 am

I have one of those in black - bought it together with a Roland JC-55 for €200, sold the amp for €350 the next week... not sure if the guitar is staying, but if I plan to sell it, I'll have to put on a new scratchplate, since it's split, right under the input jack - no problem with the sound / playability, but might get me some more $ if it's replaced - depending on the price of replacements, which may be hard to get, due to the size (7/8 strat)
jaybee
Regular

Next

Return to Equipment Blues