Is there a cure for GAS

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Is there a cure for GAS

Postby stratman_27 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:06 am

Please tell me if there is. I've got a bad case of it and the only cure (short term) is to buy another one. Spoke to the man at Guitar Center that listed this baby and he assured me that she was a real naughty girl. Well heres my newest lady. I just hope the others don't get jealous.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Its too bad GAS is has the side effects of AAS (amp aquistion syndrome) I've got a bad case of it to and this time its the Marshall variety. Really digging those 62' Bluebreaker reissues.

Stay the course, Stay the course.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:28 am

Yeah, that's a purty one!
ricochet
Regular

Postby bignick » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:10 pm

I don't think there is. I thought I was done for now, but Wed. I strolled into my local music store and there was a Brass Body Regal Duolian in almost perfect condition for $300 with case.

I played it, and now I can't stop thinking about the damn thing. Especially now that I am on a big Son House/Bukka/Chris Whitley kick.

I feel like I should make a move on it and lay it away for awhile. Those things don't come around often here.
bignick
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:31 pm

That is very pretty. Those Bluesbreaker reissues are fun, too.
guitarslim101
Regular

No cure....

Postby slickcat » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:35 pm

The only sure cure for gas is to buy it!!! After you play it a while.....either keep it or sell it and buy something else :shock:
Im no help when it comes to gas. :roll:
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stratman_27 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:13 pm

I went to Guitar Center to pick it up and they wouldn't let me have it because my payment hadn't cleared yet. I didn't know that Paypal funded by a checking account was the same as writing a check and has to pass through clearing like a check. What a dissappointment.

The guy did let me look at my new guitar and play on it for awhile. She's a keeper. I ended up buying some other odds and ends being that they were having a midnite madness sale. I got a Boss Rotary Ensemble (Leslie simulator), volume pedal and a power supply. The sale was supposed to be 20% off one item but the nice young man at the register gave me 20% off the Boss pedal and his employee discount on all the rest. What I saved will more than cover the shipping on my guitar.

I like it when things go my way.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby Elecktrablue » Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:21 pm

Is there a cure for GAS? No. It's a chronic disease. You may have short spells of "remission", but it always comes back! :D Ain't it great? :D
Elecktrablue
Regular

Postby deltablues57 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:36 am

I had a real case of GAS. I will be turning 50 in 2 weeks. I had decided last year to stop buying cheap instruments. I am just too old to be buying $200 guitars. There are many nice looking fairly decent sounding wanna-be instruments which seem to attract us GAS guys.
We buy them and play them when we find some other shiney instrument to buy we sell them and usuallly lose money.BUT always have to make excuses for them like "It's like a Gibson but its not" (an Epiphone is NOT a Gibson) . "It looks like a Fender and it is almost as good" (don't kid yourself it's NOT almost as good.
My suggestion is to do like I did
1 Don't buy it unless it is a REAL made in USA Fender, Gibson, National Resophonic, Martin, ETC. (you won't have to make excuses for it)
2 Make sure it REALLY sounds plays and looks the way you want.
3 Don't look at the price tag. You really enjoy your music and should own the best you can. You deserve it!
4 Ask yourself why do I need it. Is it different enough from what I own to justify buying it? If you don't need it for a different sound and followed the first 3 suggestions you should be in love with your current instruments enough to not want to buy it.
4 Stop pissing money away on all that wanna-be crap. With the money I lost selling all those (Good deals) on cheap junk instruments I could have just purchased a few choice instruments
5 I tend to think GAS guys are like cheaters. Buying your flashy junk is like picking up a flashy babe in a bar. You really want to spend money on the one you want to spend the rest of your life with. We all know when we buy the flashy junk it is just temporary lust BUT when you pick up that special instrument you know it!!!
deltablues57
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:22 am

Now that's an attitude towards GAS I understand.

I really don't get the thrill of having a big collection of junk guitars.

Heck, I don't really undertand the thrill of owning a lot of GOOD guitars.

I'd rather have just a few, and a full calander of gigs.

(Which, at the moment, I have none. Nada. Nothing. Portland, here comes your boy...)
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby voneville » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:12 am

Yep, it's called poverty, the ultimate cure for gas!

I'm selling a vehicle on ebay (gas has a cousin for gearheads, it's call VAS, vehicle aquisition syndrome, of which I can honestly say I've beat and am no longer inflicted). The money is burning a hole in my pocket so fast I've had a years worth of gas in the 6 days since my vehicle hit it's reserve.

I am getting stationed in Italy in January for 3 years. Because of transportion of household goods, problems with shipping instruments to italy and a host of other reasons I decided to only bring one instrument with me (but I might try to take apart my tele and stuff it in my carry one!). For someone who loves cheap guitars (and it's not an excuse for not having the real thing, I sold my gibson because my squier Tele custom H+H sounded and felt better to me) this is no easy task.

So I may cure my Gas for a good while. Moving to the other side of the world is what made me do it, but the cure is to really assess what you need vs what you want. A nice guitar that feels good and does what you need it to do and a nice amp that does the same.

Or was this a rhetorical question?
Last edited by voneville on Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
voneville
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stratman_27 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:23 pm

Now I'd like to say to DeltaBlues wait just a minute. The only way your logic works is if you're A. Able to afford the guitars you want when you want them or, B. Satisfied with less guitars or can wait until you can afford them.

My first wife forced me to sell my so called "Good" stuff. Thanks to an attorney and her I lost a 72 Gibson Les Paul and an early 70's model Telecaster along with a Marshall JCM 800 and a 60's era Fender Bandmaster. Thanks to Ebay and hippies gone yuppie and turned into Vintage Gear hounds/collectors, theres no way I could replace those axes and amps on my working man's salary especially when I have a wife and two boys to feed. Maybe if Fender and Gibson would stop giving truckloads of equipment to rock stars and celebrities they could afford to sell us common people a quality instrument at a decent price. Unfortunately Gibson's quality control sucks these days and unless your buying a custom shop model you better play it before you buy it. Same goes for Fender. I've been in many shops where I played 5-6 American strats and none of them had a good feel and the first mexican made strat I picked up felt great. Same with Gibson. If I'm spending a couple grand on a guitar it should be nearly perfect off the wall or out of the case. Not needing work done to it.

Sure I want to support American guitar maker when possible but in most cases I cannot afford too. My problem now is that I'm playing in a band and need a few differrent guitars to suit my needs and that I can't just go out and buy the best money can buy.

I own an American strat that I picked up dead mint for $650, an Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus that I payed $400 and an OSP gibson SG lookalike that I got for $200 with a hardshell case. All three have great playability and have the sound I was looking for. None of them are for sale either. I also have a 1967 Coral Hornet (Danelectro) that I'm restoring and it was given to me over 20 years ago.

Bottom line is for $1250 bucks +/- I have the three guitars that I need for the tones and sounds I want for a little more than the price of a Fender American Deluxe ($1150) Would I lose money if I traded the Epi or the OSP? Probably at least on the OSP but like I said they're not for sale they fill the bill well. I'm not the least bit scared to take any to a gig or drop any of them.

If money were no object then yes I would have bought a Gibson Les Paul and a Gibson SG but we'll have to wait another 20 or so years to see how the Gibsons made today hold up in value compared to the Gibsons of old
stratman_27
Regular

Postby deltablues57 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:47 am

I do see your point Stratman, BUT it sounds like you have been cured of GAS or force-fed a cure I should say. I didn't want to sound snobby but my point was to buy one you love and not just one that catches your eye for the moment. You seem to be in an I'm satisfied with what I have mode and that is where those of us with gas need to be. Those were just my sugggestions.
I recently purchased a niceGibson Les Paul from one of the chain stores. It is one I will keep till I die (or divorce). I got it on 12 months no payment no interest. Most of us can sell a few pieces and squeeze enough money to pay for it in 12 months.
By the way I have 3 kids and was laid off only to get a new job at $20k less than I was making, so I am by no means wealthy. I'm just in love with the Blues and with the Guitar...Delta
deltablues57
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:39 pm

I hear you there buddy. I just came off being layed off for two years I spent the time in school on the governments tip and managed a two year degree and a new job. I know exactly what you mean. Believe me if I had my way the 72 Les Paul Deluxe and 70 something Tele and amplifiers would be in my music room and the money spent replacing all that stuff would have been spent on a vintage strat or SG. My point was that their is some really decent imported stuff out there and for a player on a budget. My $200 SG copy absolutely rips for a slide guitar and not too bad a tone for regular playing. I played my new to me Epi Les Paul Standard Plus at band rehearsal this weekend and my bandmates were way impressed by the look and blown away by its great tone. I'm still debating on changing the neck pickup as it seems a little muddy when played really clean.
stratman_27
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues