Tremolo stomp box? Who makes a good'un.

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Tremolo stomp box? Who makes a good'un.

Postby telemonkey » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:55 pm

Looking to finally get a really good Tremolo pedal. Anyone here have one they'd care to share an opinion about?
I'm looking to get that sort of Bo Diddly, CCR, Southern Culture on The Skids, '50's kinda' tremolo coolness.
I've tried the Boss one and found it a little too...clean? As in antiseptic. I haven't tried the Dano one yet, though I got a Dano Vibrato pedal that I like a lot (It sounds horrible...in a really cool Lo-Fi way!)
Anybody try the Electro Harmonix one? (I think it's called the Pulsar)
telemonkey
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:00 pm

haven't used any pedals for that, but my Fender Vibroluxe Reverb Amp has a cool sound.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby telemonkey » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:14 pm

allanlummox wrote:haven't used any pedals for that, but my Fender Vibroluxe Reverb Amp has a cool sound.

:? Of course it does!! That's a sweet amp!
I was just looking for something a little cheaper..though that is sort of the sound I'm going for.
telemonkey
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:12 pm

It's a sound I used a lot working with club bands - mainly for that Excello records kind of sound.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby telemonkey » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:57 pm

Excello Records! Lazy Lester's stuff had a lot of Tremolo..didn't it?
Good stuff!
I'm looking for a Pops Staples kind of thing like
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000000W63/sr=8-1/qid=1151012931/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-0156126-2367303?%5Fencoding=UTF8
if you take a listen to "Simple Man" or "Why am I treated so Bad?"
telemonkey
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:24 pm

I'm totally thinking of Slim Harpo - a friend of mine once described the sound as "skeletons driving a convertable through the cemetary".

Some of the coolest stuff I've ever heard.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stratman_27 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:39 am

If you can get your hands on one to try, try out the Voodoo Labs tremolo pedal. I can't give you personal experience on it but I do have 3 other Voodoo effects, Micro Vibe, sparkle drive, and superfuzz and they are all top notch effects. Musicians Friend has sound samples on the voodoo labs effects on their site and I'm pretty sure they carry the tremolo too.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby telemonkey » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:38 pm

Okay, I bought one.
I ended up with the Electo-Harmonix "Pulsar" trem pedal. Really like it! It's very flexible (more so than any of the others I checked out) and so with a little tweaking I can nail the sound I'm looking for.
add a little reverb, tweak it a bit and I'm getting a Duanne Eddy sound. Really happy with it! Just what I wanted. Wanted to record a quick demo for you folks, but had too much fun just playing with it. Maybe next weekend.

Wanted to try the Voodoo labs pedal, but coudn't get my hands on one. Anyway, the best part was, I was able to try the EH Pedal at a Local family owned Shop (Classic Axe in Manassas, Va.) they carry a lot of electro Harmonix pedals and have fair prices. It felt good to support a small shop instead of the growing Musicians Friend/Guitar Center/Music and Arts conglomerate.
And, hey, not only did I support a small business, I bought a made in America pedal. (That sounds Great!)
telemonkey
Regular

Postby Ozark Bluesman » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:30 am

telemonkey wrote:I'm looking for a Pops Staples kind of thing like
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000000W63/sr=8-1/qid=1151012931/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-0156126-2367303?%5Fencoding=UTF8
if you take a listen to "Simple Man" or "Why am I treated so Bad?"
damn...I love that Pop Staples tremelo sound...
Nobody I know wants to play that kinda stuff...
You're not lookin for a drummer are you? 8)
Ozark Bluesman

Postby telemonkey » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:02 pm

damn...I love that Pop Staples tremelo sound...
Nobody I know wants to play that kinda stuff...
You're not lookin for a drummer are you? 8)
[/quote]

Yeah, I've really been getting into that stuff lately with my playing. Then again I useally want to play stuff that other people don't want to play (or listen to!)
I'm always looking to jam and drummers are always fun to jam with. I'm in Virginia too close to D.C.
telemonkey
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues