Brass nuts from Allparts

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Brass nuts from Allparts

Postby bignick » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:33 am

Has anyone tried these? I ordered one today for my strat after checking out a Dano that had a metal nut. It seemed like there was a lot more attack, even when the amp wasn't plugged in.

I ordered a graphite one for my Les Paul copy too. For $5 and free shipping it doesn't hurt to try.
bignick
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:34 pm

I'll have to take a look at that. The soft plastic nut on my Agile keeps binding the strings.
ricochet
Regular

Postby thebluesbox » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:39 pm

Dont you hate nut problems?

thebluesbox
Regular

Postby telemonkey » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:46 pm

Give us a full report.
Though, personally, I would tend to think that the sharper attack on the Dano had nothing to do with the nut. After all, once you fret a string the nut has nothing to do with the sound....or does it...hmmm...like I said, give us a full report, but meanwhile call me a doubting Thomas.
telemonkey
Regular

Postby bignick » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:55 pm

It would seem that having metal at both contact points would definitely alter the tone similar to the way that adding a bone nut and maple saddles with ebony or synthetic cap changes the tone...and changes it signficantly.

For example:

I noticed on my resos (2 are also electric) that a plastic nut with an uncapped maple saddle gives a much softer and less defined tone than an ebony capped mapple saddle and a bone nut.

Why not take it a step further? Danos are jangly a with trebly attack and they have aluminum bridges and nuts with synthetic tops. I figured it was worth a shot.
bignick
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:02 am

As has been pointed out already, the nut can only affect the open string sound.
ricochet
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues