New Reso - Needs a setup

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

New Reso - Needs a setup

Postby Mississippi John » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:45 pm

I just received my first reso guitar - a Regal RC-2 (just received, cause I bought it online) Up at the nut it plays fine, but the intonation is off badly at the 5th and 12th frets. I have some experience with doing setup on acoustic guitars, but not with a biscuit bridge. Can anyone point me to a source outlining the technique, pitfalls, etc, relating to biscuit bridges.??

Failing this, I need to locate a competant setup tech in Ontario, Canada, preferrrably in the Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto corridor. Any info would be much appreciated.

Lastly, I came acorss a website for an adjustable saddle for biscuit bridge (don't have it here, sorry). Essentially, it was similar to an electric saddle, but modified to fit the biscuit. Anyone using these and willing to offer a review?

Cheers,
Mississippi John
Mississippi John
Regular

Adjustable bridge is called "The ResoBridge"

Postby Mississippi John » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:56 pm

The adjustable bridge is called "The ResoBridge" and can be found online by doing a search on that name, or on "Acoustic Research".

Cheers,
js
Mississippi John
Regular

Postby louisianagrey » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:50 pm

You could look at http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/I-4006.html for a start.

The usual rules about action and neck relief apply to resos as well. If they're OK is the intonation out on all the strings? If so, is the bridge in the centre of the biscuit or offset? For example, the problem might be as simple as the biscuit being put on the wrong way round. Once you've eliminated the usual sources of the problem for regular acoustics the next step is to get the cover off, have a look at the inside and check the scale length. Let s know what you find.

I don't like the idea of the adjustable bridge, by the way, it seems to me it would add a lot of weight to the bridge, which is not a good thing for tone.
louisianagrey
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:31 pm

The standard way of adjusting them is to slack the strings, slide the whole cone up or down a bit if all the strings need adjustment, and rotate it if it's off on one side. The saddle needs to be angled about the same as it is on a fixed bridge acoustic guitar. And like them, you'll never get all the strings intonated perfectly. You shoot for a pretty good compromise and let it be. Don't set your action really high, or you'll never get it to intonate. Especially, high action at the nut will totally screw up intonation.
ricochet
Regular

Postby Mississippi John » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:08 pm

Thanks for all the input. Between myself and the tech/owner at the local shop, we managed to get this thing playing awesome!!

BTW - I agree with your comment re the scarcity of qualified reso techs (posted to slide discussion). I sent a number of e-mails out and didn't get much response beyond one builder in Toronto, Ontario.

As such, I must recommend Brent at SRC Music in Carleton Place, Ontario. He is a dealer for Johnson resos, and since we're more or less familiar with each other after a few years of patronage, he _could_ have been annoyed with me for bringing in a Regal purchased on eBay. But instead, he complimented the sound and neck of my new piece, helped me out with cone placement principals (in case it had shifted), measured the soundwaves to check 12th fret harmonics/intonation, and reviewed the theory of truss rod adjustment - all for no charge!! Resos certainly are NOT his bread and butter, but he does sell them and is an experience all-round tech. More importantly for my vote of confidence, he PLAYS them most impressively!!

So if anyone in eastern Ontario needs a tech I recommend giving him a try.
Mississippi John
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues