Matthews still battling the Russian Mob

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Matthews still battling the Russian Mob

Postby songdog » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:17 am

songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:39 am

DANG!
ricochet
Regular

Postby TerrR » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:21 pm

Does anyone have Vladimir Putin's address? I need to write him a letter.
TerrR
Regular

Postby bosco » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:37 pm

Thanx for the story, SongDog.

"Stop those Racketeers!"

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby juke_boy_bob » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:28 am

This is bad, but not at all rare in Russia.
I hope Matthews doesn't get hurt. The Russian mob does NOT fool around.
:(
juke_boy_bob
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:35 am

Yeah. I sure hope this works out, though. We really need that source of tubes.
ricochet
Regular

Postby songdog » Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:35 am

ricochet wrote:Yeah. I sure hope this works out, though. We really need that source of tubes.

Not a good situation, it might be time to re-arm some of our moth-balled nukes.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby srvlives » Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:03 am

Be a shame for Matthews to have to ship the whole shebang to the States and start paying real wages.....
srvlives
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:21 am

I wonder,is he in the NOS tube business as well, as a jobber or distributor,or is he strictly in manufacturing? Over here in the U.S.,if you want to put a guy out of business,you can try to get OSHA (the Occupational Safety and Health Administration) to slap enough mandatory facility updates on him that he voluntarily quits. I had an acquaintance who bought a hotel/bar facility after having OSHA tour the building looking for code violations,and after receiving their assurances that he wasn't gonna run into any mandatory updates that would squash his deal, they showed up 6 months after the purchase and hit him with elevator repairs that would have cost him $600,000. He fought them for another 6 months,and finally closed the business,losing about $500,000 of his initial investments. He always suspected that a competitor across town had bribed the regional OSHA director to suck him into the game and break him. That director died in a plane crash within a year of that time,so nobody had any cause to chase him down.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby songdog » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:18 pm

No, Matthews isn't in the NOS business. He was importing tubes from the two Russian factories and in some cases financing the tooling for new tube models. After the wall fell, there were signs that the factory might not stay in business for long due to the decline in worldwide orders so Matthews decided to purchase the factory and he has done very well. He now has complete control over things like QUALITY, testing, etc. and the tubes leaving the plant are now much better than they were 10 years ago. He owns the rights to both the Sovtek and Svetlana name.

My guess is moving the plant to the U.S. would not be an option. He would face all of the EPA issues (costs), and building a new factory with all of the special plumbing for gas lines, electrical, clean rooms, etc. would be REAL expensive. And then of course the cost of labor would factor heavily into the new pricing. Your basic $12 Sovtek 12AX7 would likely double in price, if not more.

And then of course, closing the factory would put the 1000 Russian employees out of work which would be a shame.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:00 pm

There's no way tube manufacturing could be moved back to the US. It's far too labor intensive. None of us would/could pay what they'd cost to build today.

Matthews is a sharp, sometimes shady businessman. He owns the Svetlana name in the US because he stole it. Found they hadn't registered it as a trademark in the US, and he registered it. The real Svetlana tubes are now sold in the US as "Winged C." (That's a Cyrillic S with wings, Svetlana's trademark.)
ricochet
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues