Pasive mixers for guitars... do they exist?

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Pasive mixers for guitars... do they exist?

Postby De Ferre » Tue May 30, 2006 12:14 pm

Hi!

I'm wondering about using a small mixer to conect the three guitars I use in my gigs into the same amplifier. So, I don't have to be plugging and unplugging my guitars every time I switch.

I this a good idea or is there a better way of doing this?

I've seen a few mic mixers, like the BEHRINGER MX400:
But they are all active and require some power... thus, more cables and hassle. Have you ever seen a pasive one and, if possible, designed for guitars?

Thank you!
De Ferre
Regular

Postby jaybee » Tue May 30, 2006 6:41 pm

I wouldn't use a mic mixer, they probably aren't designed for guitar level signals - I don't know how often you change guitars during a gig, but i think the unplug/plug method might be the least troublesome - if you have a volume pedal or tuner with mute function on stage, you don't even have to go over to the amp to turn it off/on, just kill the signal at the pedal.

if you use a wireless, don't attach it to your strap, just put it in your pocket, this way you don't have to move the strap from one guitar to the other, which may take up some more time than just unplugging
jaybee
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Wed May 31, 2006 9:50 am

I hate to recommend anything without trying it but Planet Waves sells a guitar cable with a circuit breaker for guitar changes without the pop. Like I said I haven't tried it but most anything Planet Waves sells is top notch. I will probably get one as I play 2 to 3 different guitars depending.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby De Ferre » Wed May 31, 2006 11:13 am

Then... they don't exist? :(
De Ferre
Regular

Postby trguitar » Wed May 31, 2006 4:38 pm

I have a DOD 240 resistance mixer. It is totally passive and is a box with one output and 4 inputs, or vice versa if you wish. It cost me $25 some 12 years ago. They are 1/4" unbalanced inputs so you can run a guitar through it. My only concern is that even with the volume wide open I think it may weaken the signal just a tad.

http://www.dod.com/accessories/accessories.htm
trguitar
Regular

Postby De Ferre » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:20 am

Thank you! :)
That looks exactly as what I'm looking for. I'll search for it here around.
De Ferre
Regular

Postby louisianagrey » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:41 pm

The Planet Waves cable with the switch thingy works really well. I throughly recommend it.

The Award-Session MixMatch http://www.award-session.com/mixmatch.html would do the mixing job for you. I have one and it works very well.
louisianagrey
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues