New Old Amp...

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

New Old Amp...

Postby gcd revue » Tue May 30, 2006 5:27 am

Just bought an amp from a co-worker. It's a mid-60's Silvertone Twin 12. Man, I'm LOVING this thing. Looks cheesy as hell with the drawer liner paper on particle board cabinet, but it sounds SWEET....especially with the onboard tremolo. Really decent shape, too. The only gripe I have is that, while it has a sweet clean tone, I occasionally want an overdriven sound without making ears bleed. Any recommendations? Would a TS-808 reissue do what I want? I have limited experience with stomp boxes, so any recommendations would be helpful. Thanks, y'all

Semper Fi,
gcd revue
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Tue May 30, 2006 4:36 pm

Try Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive save ya about 50 buck over the tubescreamer reissue and has the same voiceing without needing to mod it. Sparkle Drive modeled after original TS-808 but has a little more on the big end and cleans up awesome when you want that touch sensitive overdrive.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby gcd revue » Wed May 31, 2006 1:58 am

Appreciate the heads-up. I'll have to give that one a shot.

Semper Fi,
gcd revue
Regular

Postby trguitar » Wed May 31, 2006 4:44 pm

I have a Tube Screamer, thats what I use to make my amp nasty. Mine is a TS10 though, not the classic reissue.
trguitar
Regular

Postby straightblues » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:51 pm

If you like tweed tones, the Clark/Barber Gainster is fantastic for blues. It is my favorite by far. They are $139. http://www.tpngear.com/

The Boss Blues Driver with mods done by Robert Keeley is another favorite of mine. http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=14

The tube screamer is just too overdone IMHO.
straightblues
Regular

Postby gcd revue » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:07 pm

Appreciate all the input...tone is a very personal thing, and what I'm going to end up doing is trying out a bunch of different options to find what works best for my sound. Either that, or I'll end up taking both amps to the gig....which is, at best, a royal pain in the @$$! Especially considering how little I use the really nasty overdrive. But for the tunes that need it, it's critical. What I'd REALLY like is a Mesa Mk.IV, but that's just not in the budget. Anyway, I appreciate the advice, and I'll start with those mentioned. Thanks again!
gcd revue
Regular

Postby slidnslim » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:02 pm

GCD, I had one of those Twin Twelves for fifteen years!
Its one of the holy-grails of Blues tone! Becareful not to
blow the transformer,I was told it was the key to its tone,

You really owe it to your-self to buy a old DeArmond sound-hole
pickup in a flat top,that combo Twin Twevlve DeArmond in a flat-
top is killer trust me!

Kenny,
slidnslim
Regular

Postby straightblues » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:12 pm

Booth of the overdrives I recommended, Clark Gainster and Keeley Blues driver, are available right now on the Weber VST buy sell forum. They are asking $120 for the Gainster and $100 for the Blues Drive both include shipping. Those are good deals if you are intersted.

(Click on the buy/sell tab on the left when you get to the board).

http://www.webervst.com/vstbbs/bbs.html
straightblues
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues