EQ pedals?

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

EQ pedals?

Postby sweetness » Wed May 24, 2006 12:53 am

Can anyone make a recommendation on EQ pedals? Including not using one? I've been doing some reading on the Boss ones, the EQ-20 and the GE-7.

I'm running a Squier Fat Strat through an Epiphone Jr Head and a Peavey 10" speaker. Love the Chicago blues sound with a bit of rock, just so you know.

Thanks in advance,
Sweetness
sweetness
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Wed May 24, 2006 1:12 am

Boss makes good stuff but as far as EQ pedals I think you'll find most folks prefer the MXR EQ. I had one years ago and it was top notch.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby sweetness » Wed May 24, 2006 1:14 am

Which MXR EQ? Looks like they'll got several.

Thanks,
Sweetness
sweetness
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Wed May 24, 2006 1:48 am

stratman_27
Regular

Postby sweetness » Wed May 24, 2006 1:38 pm

What did you like about it? How was it better than the Boss ones? And how did it help you play blues?

Thanks,
Sweetness
sweetness
Regular

Postby grady » Fri May 26, 2006 3:44 am

sweetness wrote:What did you like about it? How was it better than the Boss ones? And how did it help you play blues?

Thanks,
Sweetness

I use a Danelectro "Fish & Chips" EQ for my National if I'm not running it thru a LR Baggs Paracoustic DI.
I've owned the BOSS EQ Pedal and I've also had the MXR EQ Pedal (the little one)

These pedals help yopu not only to "play Blues" but, to play any Genre of Music by Accenting the Good frequencies and attenuating the bad ones.

Most Electric Guitarists would use a EQ to Accentuate the Mids and maybe the overall volume level for a good boost for Solos.
grady
Regular

Postby 1dustyeod » Sat May 27, 2006 12:52 am

Throw 'em away......

If you can't dial your amp in without an EQ pedal theres something wrong with your ears and you're probably still in the "buzzing Bumblebee"stage of overdrive appreciation.... as my brother calls it. Most people 'scoop' out the midrange on those pedals and take out the mids.... which is where all your tone is in a guitar..... I always laugh when I see one of those in someones electric guitar pedal board. I'll give you a good example.... If you set that thing where you like it... and there is a smiley face arrangement looking back at you from the sliders of the EQ pedal...... you just scooped all your tone right out before your true guitar tone ever hit the input of the amp. The tone IS in the guitar and the amp.... not in the pedal.

8)
1dustyeod
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Sat May 27, 2006 4:03 am

I've heard nice things about the MXR 10-band EQ but I'm with 1dustyeod on this one. Although, that Epiphone amp is volume-only, so maybe an EQ could be helpful. My suggestion is, which ever pedal (if any) you decide on, buy it used and if you don't like it, sell it.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby trguitar » Sun May 28, 2006 3:00 am

1dustyeod wrote:I'll give you a good example.... If you set that thing where you like it... and there is a smiley face arrangement looking back at you from the sliders of the EQ pedal...... you just scooped all your tone right out before your true guitar tone ever hit the input of the amp. The tone IS in the guitar and the amp.... not in the pedal.

8)

Hey! I resemble that ..... :lol: Seriously though, when I am playing a lot of my classic rock, Sabbath and such, I need that scoop for the right tone. I think origionally it was done this way as a means of controlling feedback at high volumes. Now when it comes to blues, by all means, I boost those mids. I guess I'm saying there are EQ settings for all kinds of music. Blues is very expressive and you are right. If you scoop out all the tone you are limiting yourself. I don't by the way have an EQ pedal. I just use the knobs on the amp.
trguitar
Regular

no tone controls on amp

Postby sweetness » Tue May 30, 2006 12:48 am

As someone pointed out, the Valve Jr Head has only a volume control. I really love the tone I'm getting with the guitar and the amp, but it's pretty much one tone. I'm thinking I might like a bit more variety.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!
Sweetness
sweetness
Regular

Re: no tone controls on amp

Postby rustyslide » Tue May 30, 2006 3:54 am

sweetness wrote:As someone pointed out, the Valve Jr Head has only a volume control. I really love the tone I'm getting with the guitar and the amp, but it's pretty much one tone. I'm thinking I might like a bit more variety.

Sweetness

Tone pot ain't good nuff fer ya, boy? :twisted:
rustyslide
Site Admin

Re: no tone controls on amp

Postby sweetness » Tue May 30, 2006 12:14 pm

rustyslide wrote:
sweetness wrote:As someone pointed out, the Valve Jr Head has only a volume control. I really love the tone I'm getting with the guitar and the amp, but it's pretty much one tone. I'm thinking I might like a bit more variety.

Sweetness

Tone pot ain't good nuff fer ya, boy? :twisted:

Well, the other thing I forgot to mention is that the 10-band EQ pedal has a volume boost. And the VJH is not all that loud. It's loud enough in my basement, but I haven't got a drummer and other guitarists down there with me. :lol:

Sweetness
sweetness
Regular

Postby blues power » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:47 pm

i use a GE7 for a solo bosst. i never had to mess with the sdliders more than +2 on any occasion. mostly just the the 3 senter sliders get moved.
my freind has a maxon its it real nice too.
blues power
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues