The opposite of GAS...

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Re: The opposite of GAS...

Postby allanlummox » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:32 pm

I forgot all about this thread...and I've been getting all sorts of non - musical junk for musical purposes...the booth has now got its own wireless keyboard and mouse, and adjustable height industrial stool, headphones, cables, a small mixer, various wall pockets and other office-cubicle things to make it easier to get things done in here. A good thing it has forced ventilation - it gets close in here during my 2 hour shoutcasts.

In the meantime, my Gibson should be out of the shop soon - that'll feel like a new guitar. And man, the frets on my Delphi are starting to want crowning - for a slide guy, I sure wear the frets out!
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:59 pm

Nearly forgot the newest toy - although it IS a bit musical.

Got a "Hansenfutz" percussion pedal, which I've attached to an old cowbell...because, as everyone knows, slide guitar always needs more cowbell.

Since starting these online shows, I've added a lot of material - the fact that I'm in front of my music stand has opened up a world of songs I never memorized! Trying not to overdo this, of course - and coming up with new arrangements constantly!

It's a very different technical situation with much the same goal as my performances in recent years - filling a lively, open market place with just my voice and guitar, being heard from far away.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:03 pm

Lummo, use the string on 'em, lol! You know what I mean. Is the string story still on your website..?
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:28 pm

Dude!

I pulled "The Black String" off my site when I started this writing class I'm taking - in fact, I'm rewriting it for an assignment now. I'm planning to repost that, and a few other pieces, after I've finished the course.

So far, my Shoutcasts have just been playing and singing - but there's a lot of potential in this thing, so I wouldn't rule anything out.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:32 pm

Well your voice sounds good, if your soundbytes are recent. You sound strong.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:40 pm

Thanks a ton.

Encouraging words are appreciated - but man! Remembering the Black String takes me out! That's cool!
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:32 pm

allanlummox wrote:Thanks a ton.

Encouraging words are appreciated - but man! Remembering the Black String takes me out! That's cool!
It's easy to forget that there's a whole world out there that we don't see all the time. It's the unseen forces that guys like you and Walter Tore are always tryin' to harness, but they're elusive as hell, not to mention being invisible and hard to identify and quantify. I think your success in keeping your ego out of it and jus' concentratin' on the songs has kept you from gettin' burned (both you AND Walter). The elements of spiritual/physical energy jus' get ignored in band settings alot of the time, unless you've got a very special group, at the right time & place. Dylan talks about tunes revealing themselves to him and that he just has to listen in order to get 'em right. I think that's the quest, and it's easy to get sidetracked.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:24 pm

Ooh - tell me more about how appealing my lack of ego is.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:02 pm

Well, at least I've never seen you toot your own horn around here, or even get defensive about much of anything. I jam with a darn good standup guitarist who reacts negatively almost anytime you say something nice about another musician who ever beat him out of gig somewhere.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to Equipment Blues