Round neck Spider Cone, Conversion To Dobro

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Round neck Spider Cone, Conversion To Dobro

Postby Bant's Bluz » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:52 pm

I've contemplated trying a bit of lap style, but really am looking for the tone of a Dobro. I've got a Liberty round neck with a quarterman cone and spider and was wondering if a nut riser would get me on my way. Also, it currently is stringed with 13's. Should I stay with those? And lastly. is C6 the correct dobro tuning>?
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Re: Round neck Spider Cone, Conversion To Dobro

Postby Bant's Bluz » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:36 pm

I had really hoped that someone might have an opinion on the question. Then again, folks are pretty busy this time of year.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:54 pm

Bant's Bluz wrote:I've contemplated trying a bit of lap style, but really am looking for the tone of a Dobro. I've got a Liberty round neck with a quarterman cone and spider and was wondering if a nut riser would get me on my way. Also, it currently is stringed with 13's. Should I stay with those? And lastly. is C6 the correct dobro tuning>?

A nut riser will do the trick, you could use the 13s or go to 15s
Standard lap dobro tuning is GBDGBD I think.
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby michaelm » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:16 pm

I somehow missed this one first time around. I'll try and get you a couple of answers from my point of view. Of course, YMMV. It looks like kiwiblues responed while I was typing, so there's a little repeat here.

I started on lap style with an extension nut (riser) on an old flattop with pretty high action anyway. Then I put another riser on an El Cheapo round neck reso. Both worked out just fine. This is the way that lots of people start. Just don't go for any real high tension tunings. Stick to D instead of E, G instead of A and so on.

Dobro players use a (L2H) G B D G B D tuning which I just can't stand, so I used Spanish: D G D G B D, which is what I would recommend to you for starters in playing blues. I imagine that others will suggest open D: D A D F# A D which you will want to try out at some point anyway. The same set of strings can be used for either tuning. Try it out with the 13s that you have on there. You don't want the bar to deflect the strings very much. If the strings seem a little slack to you, try a set of 16s. I like the John Pearse set (the sixth string is a little heavier) on some guitars and D'Addarios on others. Strings are cheap enough to do a little experimenting when you get ready for that.

The C6 tuning is a little jazzier and often used in western swing. With the C6 tuning, the intervals between strings are a little smaller, so lighter gauge strings are usually used for this tuning. Most of the string brands offer C6 sets.

HTH.
michaelm
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:51 pm

Thanks much gang. As an alternative I'm looking at Morrell squarenecks out of Bristol, TN. I sent Ricochet a pm, since he lives in Bristol to see if he had any input on Morrell's squarenecks. At the listed prices, the have to be imports. I also check Harmony Central and there were no reviews to be found. As for the Country sound of the Dobro, that is really what I'm looking for. As much as I love the blues, I love country blues equally.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby panhead201 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:33 am

Hi,I ve heard some good things about Morrell,s.I bought a Fender F800 or whatever they are to give my 84 tear old National try-cone redo a break.If I had to it over,I'd have left my money in my pocket.I'm sure theres some good ones.This win;t one of them.I use 12,s flat wound round core nickels.Aglass slide.Very little squeak.I've been using a suction cup pickup and a small condenser cartiod mic about 8 inches away.It's interesting.I'm lefty so I make my own nuts.I put a good blank in a vice and cut down till I hit meta;.The otc nut rsers wrk fine though.I tune to DGDGBD.I'VE GOT A ROUND NECK AND A LOW ENOUGH ACTION THAT I CAN PLAY WITHOUT THE SLIDE IF I WANT AND I'VE KINDA TRANSPOSED STUFF TO THAT TUBING.HAVE FUN
panhead201
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:49 pm

PanHead, If I understood your post correctly, you're saying you've heard positive things about the Morrells? I've looked every place I can think of for reviews, alas, no joy.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby panhead201 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:04 pm

Hi,A good friend lives jn Murfreesboro,Tn.He's a studio guy and Living or seeing Dolly Parton,s sister.He's been af the r my gold top.He's the one who told me about em.I gave him a call after I read your post,can't find his cell #.When he gets back to me I'll let you know what he said.We were talking about new amp and luthier built guitars are doing well.He mentioned them and he was pretty high on em.I don't recall whether he's got one or not.He's a collector,guitars all over the place.Have you tried Harmony Central reviews.As soon as I hear something I'll let you know.
panhead201
Regular

Postby panhead201 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:25 pm

there's a user review of the MLS-N or MLS-6 entry level one on harmony central.It got 5 stars.Look on Morrells Music.Harmony central said there's one on E-Bay now.It was $82.00 at the moment.
panhead201
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues