Should I Re-Cover my old Amp?

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Should I Re-Cover my old Amp?

Postby JLHooker » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:03 pm

I recently acquired a 1965 Twin reverb from the widow of my jam partner.He bought it new in '65.I had an amp tech go through it and get it up to par.Now as a play through it, I look at how ragged and beat up it is and I wonder if I should re-cover it and replace the grill cloth or leave it like it is.I wo't be hauling it around and playing out with it.I'm too old and it's too heavy.What do you guys think about this?
Hooker
JLHooker
Regular

Re: Should I Re-Cover my old Amp?

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:38 pm

Sounds like a worthy project, because it will give it more resale value, and make it yours.
Your debate will be, original look grill and cover, or retro tweed look.
Bill
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby JLHooker » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:13 pm

The reason I have questions about re-covering my amp is that I don't know how it will affect the value.I read a lot of stuff about leaving everything original and I don't want to make the wrong decision.
Thanks,
Hooker
JLHooker
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:20 pm

If I read your meaning right it's this: To me it's damn beat up and ugly, but will it keep it's resale value if I restore it?

Restore it, make it pretty, you'll love it. So will 99% of potential buyers, the other 1% are nuts, and bottom feeders.

Bill
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby michaelm » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:42 pm

Hooker, if your are interested in maintaining any vintage value that this amp may have, I would recommend that you call Elderly or Gruhn's or some other reputable dealer in vintage gear, ask to speak with a knowledgable salesman, and see what you can learn. Heck, try a couple of different dealers. Or maybe post your question to another Forum with a little wealthier crowd than this one. 8)
Just my two pennies worth.
michaelm
Regular

Postby JLHooker » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:26 am

Thanks guys. I believe that I'll check with some of the vintage amp people before I do anything.Right now It sounds good and I enjoy it.The first time I played through it was in 1968.
Hooker
JLHooker
Regular

Postby maxx england » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:49 am

Your question is asking for help in choosing whether to renovate an old amp so it looks nice and smart or to keep it the way your friend last used it.

If you re cover it, it will only ever look like any other amp; if you leave it as it is, every scratch and knock on it will carry a memory. It's your choice to do what makes you feel best, but personally (and this is not advice or instruction, just one man's viewpoint) I'd leave it as it is.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JLHooker » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:33 pm

[quote="maxx england"]Your question is asking for help in choosing whether to renovate an old amp so it looks nice and smart or to keep it the way your friend last used it.

If you re cover it, it will only ever look like any other amp; if you leave it as it is, every scratch and knock on it will carry a memory. It's your choice to do what makes you feel best, but personally (and this is not advice or instruction, just one man's viewpoint) I'd leave it as it is.[/qu

You are right .This is a good way to remember my friend.He put all the scratches and tears on the amp.
Thanks,
Hooker
JLHooker
Regular

Postby straightblues » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:44 pm

If you do decide to have it done, it will cost around $200. Make sure it is done correct, with the correct vintage or vintage reproduction materials. I think if it is well done with the right materials, that it will not effect value that much if it is truly as beat as you are saying. I would suggest posting some pictures so we can look at it. I have sold amp in good condition that people said were beat. You might be really picky about condition. If you are and the amp is still pretty good, you should probably not change it.
straightblues
Regular

Postby maxx england » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:59 am

That's about it, the choice between memories and a personal link to a good man, or $$$ being more important.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby NEONMOONY » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:44 pm

I decide early on if an instrument or piece of equipment is one I plan to re-sell or if it's "mine". If it is something I want to use for a considerable time, I make it the way I want it. If that mean's cutting a hole in a resonatoir to install a pickup, adding a Bigsby to a guitar, stripping the finish, whatever. If I sell it later or my heirs have to sell it, it brings what it brings. If it is a good amp or instrument to begin with, though, it will still bring a decent price.

I don't subscribe to the notion that a quality rehab will destroy the instrument/amp and, therefore, the price. There may be some folks looking for an all original something or other, but I've seen some darn nice rehabs and under it all was still a nice Fender amp.The price difference of original vs a quality rehab may not even be worth fretting over (excuse the pun).

For me, the question would be, am I sitting on to it, like a merchandiser, to later sell it for a profit or do I have it to play, use and enjoy. If it is just for profit, leave it alone. If it is for me, then, I'm going to fix it the way I want it.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby JLHooker » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:13 pm

Guys, thanks for all the replies .The reply from Maxx kind of made me think of why I bought this amp in the first place.I bought it so that I would have something to remember my friend and playing partner by.It will stay here for good .I'm old and the amp is too and unless it falls apart on it's own, I'll let my son worry with fixing it up when I'm gone.
Thanks for the opinions
JLHooker
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:11 am

I like Maxx's post. +1 to that.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby gatorblue » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:18 am

I just saw your post and, it appears you did not re-cover it. DO NOT DO THIS and tell your son not to.

A vintage fender amp is worth SO MUCH MORE to collectors than a pristine re-covered and re-grilled amp. Also, when you play, if the tone is there and all works, the beat up cover and grill give it more mojo for serious players

As a guy who has played and owned many old fender and gibson amps, let me assure you that changing anything on a good vintage amp is a mistake. Even if you change a transforme, speaker or switch that doesn't work, keep the original parts in a ziplock and a box. The collectors will pay you much, much more if it's all there.

Example, I regularly play through my 54 Bassman 5B6 (1X15) because it's such a righteous sounding amp. The tweed is torn, ragged and the maroon grill has 3 rips, but I wouldn't change a thing. They are going from $7500 to $9900 on ebay so I may have to sell it one day. If I recovered it, I'd lose at least 20% of the value. Do not change anything you don't have to change. --Gator www.southsideblueskings.com
gatorblue
Regular

Postby JLHooker » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:15 pm

Thanks for the response on this.I have kept my '65 Twin Reverb original.It even has old RCA power tubes.It looks rough but sounds good.The main reason I even considered recovering it was because I like to tinker with my guitars and amps.My old friend bought it new in the 60's and both of us played through it since then.
Hooker
JLHooker
Regular

Next

Return to Equipment Blues