How to set up my equipment

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

How to set up my equipment

Postby jammerjames » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:12 am

Hi everybody.
I am new to this forum, and new to playing/gigging. i will be playing harp, keyboard and singing blues. here's my setup: 5e3 circuit amp w bigger trannie so i can run 6l6s or 6v6s, either a 5y3 or a 5u4 recto depending, and a combo of 12ay and 12at. playing in living room up to small coffeehouse/bar. shaker maddog harp mic, 3 vintage shure 55 style vocal mics with vintage elements, and an electronic keyboard.
so:
1) playing the harp. do i ever need to plug the maddog into a preamp and then the preamp into the amp, and if so, under what conditions?
2) add the keyboard to #1, and ask the same question, but the keyboard will be plugged directly into the amp.
3) add the 3 mics to #2, and ask the same question, although the mics will be running through a mixer and then into the amp. should the mics be plugged into a separate preamp and then into the mixer and then the mixer into the amp? should the keyboard stay directly into the amp or should it go through the mixer also?
i don't know a lot about numbers and values related to these things, so no one needs to get really technical in those areas.
I'm just trying to find a setup that will be complimentary to each element and not sound out of whack.
Thanks in advance to anyone who chooses to reply.

jammer
jammerjames
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues