Killer amp combination

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Killer amp combination

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:26 am

Today I went in to SamAsh after class and decided to try out some small amps. I tried out the Champ 600 again, and it failed to impress me. Then I tried the new Vox AC4TV. It's a little 5w, 1x10 combo, and it sounded pretty good. Really nice tube breakup. It has a volume and tone control and a knob to let you switch between 4w, 1w, and 1/4w. The speaker sounded a little "farty" and just kind of thin, but that's to be expected. All those little 5w amps sound a little "farty" to me. Anyways, I was jammin out in the store and the guy who works there came over and says "Watch this." He plugged it into those new Fender Bandmaster 2x12 cabs with Celestions and WOW! :shock: Absolutely amazing tone. The breakup was really smooth, even on the 1/4w setting and the tone knob was really quite responsive. Moving it just a little bit changed the tone immensely, which is pretty cool. The amp could go from thin and gritty to thick and warm in no time. I was really, really impressed.

The amp is $250 and the cab was $350 and IMO, it sounded better than the Vox Night Train (which is also a killer amp) for a lot less money. Not nearly as loud and doesn't have the 3-band EQ, but still sounded great. Anyways, that little amp rocks really, really, really hard. Even the combo sounds better than all of it's other 5w cousins made my Fender, Epiphone, etc, IMO. I've really been gassing for a Tele lately, but I might have to forget the Tele and go pick up that little Vox and then maybe later on down the road get that Fender cab. There's a huge part of me that wants to get a 2x12 cab, and then just start buying heads to plug into the cab, that way I can have a bunch of different amps. :lol: Overall, I was quite impressed with an amp I would've just dismissed as being junk. I've never really like any Vox amps I've played until I played this one and the Night Train.

And it looks really cool too!

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/prod ... sku=476326

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/prod ... sku=580900
leftyguitarman
Regular

Re: Killer amp combination

Postby guitarslim101 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:38 am

I've heard some very nice things about that amp. I wouldn't mind giving one a spin sometime.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby texas blues » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:59 pm

Save your money Lefty. Check out the guts. You'll see there its way too busy with assorted wham whams and zu zu's for what should be a simple circuit. The most striking feature though is that the tube sockets are mounted directly to the PCB board. That is a FAIL waiting to happen.
texas blues
Regular

Postby bignick » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:08 pm

I agree with TB.

Left, for that money you can buy an old Champ or Bronco and get that sound you are really looking for with point-to-point wiring. They run about $275. You are right about the cab. A cab is a beautiful thing and once you have one you can use it for damn near anything. HOWEVER, I wouldn't just buy a Fender cab. You can go to Musicgoround.com and find an old used Peavey cab or off-brand cab for around $150 shipped - or scower Craigslist for used cabs. The 80s cabs are usually cheap as hell and people just want to get rid of them. THEN...go buy some warehouse or weber speakers and either wire them yourself or take them to your tech guy. (Its really really easy though - if I can do it you can do it)

Hell, I only paid $30 for a 1x12 open-backed cab and $45 for a nice Weber speaker. My Bassman head was $250. That is the best rig I've ever owned and you can actually WORK on an amp like that if something breaks.

You just have to be patient...though it only took me a week to find what I was looking for. I just scheduled a daily search on ebay and it would send me listings meeting my criteria.
bignick
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:53 pm

i have to agree about the cab.if you look around used ones are pretty cheap.i got a 1968 harmony 2x12 cab for free and they used the same speakers as bassmen that year.sometimes with speaker cabs people just want to get rid of them.

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby bignick » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:20 pm

This is especially true with the old Crate cabs, Sonic cabs, Peavey cabs, etc.

You could probably even find some good solid wood cabs for cheap. My problem with Fender cabs is that their speakers are super clean. If you want a bluesy tone, I'd reccomend a couple of Weber signature series alnicos. www.tedweber.com

I swear by Ted's speakers. Even the signature series are unbelievable for the money. They made my Pro Junior sound unbelievable. I even used them in a 4x12 Marshall cab and it made my Randall metal amp really warm sounding when I had it.

I don't want to dissuade you Left...I just think you can get more for your money and I have an idea of what sound you are looking for. Like you, I used to comb music stores like GC and try all of these little combos but once I went vintage point to point wired amps - I never looked back. I don't think you will be satisfied until you do the same and you aren't spending any more money by doing so.
bignick
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:36 pm

bottleneck
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:54 pm

Thanks for the info guys.

bignick wrote:Left, for that money you can buy an old Champ or Bronco and get that sound you are really looking for with point-to-point wiring. They run about $275.

Where have you found a Champ for $275? :shock: Every one I've ever watched on ebay has gone for a lot more than that.

bottleneck wrote:from phoinex craig's list : http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/msg/1443511101.html

East Mesa is looooooooooong way. But it may be worth checking out next time I'm out that way.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:00 pm

well that was just an example.i found a 2x12 cab for less than a hundred in what i thought was your neck of the woods in under ten minutes.my point was that there are lots of used speaker cabs out there,so no need to spend $250 for a new one.for 250 it better be made out of yellow pine and loaded with hot speakers!

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:14 pm

I've been browsing through cabs on CL and a huge majority of them at Marshall 4x12 cabs, or KRANK amps, or bass cabs. None of which I'm interested in really.

I guess there's really no point in getting a cab if I can't find a good head to go along with it.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby maxx england » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:27 am

I tried posting last night but it disappeared.

Lefty, have you tried asking shops what they have in the back room that they don't think is worth trying to sell? I have 2 amp heads that have no reasonable resale value, but do their jobs very well for what I want. I will endorse the separate cab recommendation too; it's inconvenient in terms of lugging things around, but it means you only need the head when you buy things.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bottleneck » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:14 pm

good point maxx!
lefty here's an epi valve junior head and cab for $150 in mesa.is that far?(JK!JK!)$150 for a head and cab make it closer than that cab,haha.i know it is cheap and people say good things about them.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/msg/1453010621.html

http://www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:24 pm

Bottleneck, I saw that ad yesterday. I'd have to go and inspect it heavily before buying from that guy. That Strat he's selling is a 79 neck with a bunch of other stuff and he was trying to sell it as a 100% original 79 Strat several months ago. I doubt I could trust his description of the VJ.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby bignick » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:47 am

Where have you found a Champ for $275? :shock: Every one I've ever watched on ebay has gone for a lot more than that.

Make sure you are looking for the silver face champs, vibro champs, broncos, or Musicmasters. You should be able to find one between $275-$350 if you bid correctly.

Don't bid on it right away. Schedule your search to find those that are ending and try to snipe them.

Don't be afraid to buy one that may need a cap job either. For what you were planning to pay for the Fender Cab and Vox - you would be better off with a nice champ. You'll find a cab and you probably won't even want one for awhile.
bignick
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:56 am

Any specific years I should look at Nick?
leftyguitarman
Regular

Next

Return to Equipment Blues