What do you use for reverb on a non-reverb amp ?

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

What do you use for reverb on a non-reverb amp ?

Postby birddog » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:51 pm

While I don't use alot of reverb, there are times when you need some. Starting to explore the possibilites for my Bassman project thats coming along. Cab has arrived and speakers should be here by the end of the week.
Amp head is at my buddies that does this kind of thing. Told him I plugged it in & it powered up. Stopped bay for a few last week and he had it plugged into a bass cab he had and tried it out with a bass and an acoustic guitar buts thats all that was availible at the time. Sounded good.
Thinking about the rest of the puzzle now and wondering what others used and were happy with. Please don't say the Fender add on unit as its not in the budget.

Wally
birddog
Regular

Re: What do you use for reverb on a non-reverb amp ?

Postby mike932 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:49 am

I use a Danelectro "Corned Beef" reverb pedal. El Cheapo strikes again.
mike932
Regular

Postby thunda1216 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:24 am

I have an old Washburn rack mount unit with flanger, chorus and analog delay. I use the delay for when I need reverb on my Windsor or Pignose G40v. The EH Holy Grail is an excellent reverb pedal at a reasonable price. Peavey Deltafex units have all kinds of reverbs and delays and can be had for as little as 20 bucks used if you do a bit of shopping.

ty
thunda1216
Regular

Postby Les Forgue » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:18 am

mike932 wrote:I use a Danelectro "Corned Beef" reverb pedal. El Cheapo strikes again.

Me I got this Danelectro echo 'pedal'. it cost about 15 US dollars. I like it. I don't have it on the floor, I have it on top of the amp cab and use fingers not feet to swithch it on/off. It is not really a reverb, but the echo sounds pretty much like reverb to me. It can be plugged in as an effects loop OR between guitar/mike and input jack.
Les Forgue
Regular

Postby grady » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:35 am

The EH Holy Grail Reverb pedal.

Although I must admit, I prefer a good Delay pedal over a reverb pedal.
I can't believe I paid almost $200.00 for a Delay pedal but, it does sound great.
grady
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:25 pm

I'm with Grady on the Holy Grail. That is a great pedal! Another reverb pedal I was quite impressed with was this Marshall one.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/prod ... sku=150333
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:38 pm

An empty stairwell works.
ricochet
Regular

Postby zhyla » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:50 pm

I use a Behringer DR100. I'm not sure anyone makes a cheaper pedal. It sounds great but eats batteries (I use a DC supply). I'm also a fan of one of Line6's reverb models but I don't have that in pedal form.

Congrats on the Bassman build, I built one last year... er... well amp projects are never done, but it sounds great.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:13 am

ricochet wrote:An empty stairwell works.

As does a bathroom. I play a lot of acoustic guitar on my bathroom counter. It sounds real good!
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:16 am

I use an old Premier 90 tube spring reverb unit. It's noisy, lo-fi, dirty, can get way more reverb than would ever be necessary (they say a premier tank on 3 is like a fender tank on 10), but it's awesome. You can use it to hit the front of your amp with a hotter signal, too.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:54 pm

In my sound booth, I've been using coffee cans and springs to create a subtle resonance during my online broadcasts.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:27 pm

allanlummox wrote:In my sound booth, I've been using coffee cans and springs to create a subtle resonance during my online broadcasts.
If you threw a few machine screws into the bottom, would that make an acoustic 6-string sound more like a resonator guitar....? Sorry Lummo, lol.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby birddog » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:41 pm

Thanks for the replies :| I think.
I've heard some good things about the Holy Grail pedals. Didn't know there were so many out there till I got the latest MF catalog, then started doing some research and wow so many choices. So I thought I'd askwhat others were using and what they liked.

Not sure about the coffee can idea though, cranking up a Bassman in the stairwell or the bathroom I think isn't an option either I'm afraid. :?

Of all the reviews I've read the one by Tech 21 has the best reviews.
Now, in a sense I guess I'm kinda proud to say I've never set foot in a GC. Mostly because I have Elderly so close by but my father in-law lives across the street from one and we need to go visit him in the next few weeks.
Can someone go in to a GC and demo some of these ?

Thanks

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:17 pm

"If you threw a few machine screws into the bottom, would that make an acoustic 6-string sound more like a resonator guitar....? Sorry Lummo, lol."

I said subtle resonance. I got the idea from a Remo "Thunder Tube". It's a lot less cheesey than my Boss Digital Delay.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:35 am

birddog wrote:Can someone go in to a GC and demo some of these ?

GC always has Holy Grails in stock. If you don't get a chance to try one out, just order it anyway. I promise you won't be disappointed. It is a fantastic pedal (as is all of EH's stuff).
leftyguitarman
Regular

Next

Return to Equipment Blues