Son House's "Levee Camp Moan"

A place to post guitar tabs separately from other discussion so it doesn’t get lost in the messages. To make it easy to search we suggest starting a new thread for each song posted and include the song name in your title. We’ll be able to make a nice archive if we keep tab here and discussion on the other forums.

Son House's "Levee Camp Moan"

Postby silenus » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:05 am

Anybody knows how to play this song?
Easiest version to be heard on his "Delta Blues and Spirituals"...

Thanks
silenus
Regular

Postby Huddie Ledbetter » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:56 am

Don't know how to play that song specifically, but he usually plays in open G, with a slide. Is Delta Blues and Spirituals a compilation? I havn't heard of it.
Huddie Ledbetter
Regular

Postby silenus » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:26 am

No, it's a recorded live gig somewhere from the late '60s probably.
And it's in very good sound condition. A very harsh, passionate and deep singing/playin Son House (also a bit drunk I guess, if you listen to those monologues...)
It contains a 15min. during song (yes, 15 minutes !!!) and others
I haven't heard before.
You can (pay)download it , or listen to snippets in the link bellow.

http://www.mp3shits.com/full/download/S ... mp3/49154/

Enjoy
silenus
Regular

Postby Joe Henry » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:56 am

i have that album, i really like it, i like how the entire audience is clapping and stomping their feet durring grinnin in your face and john the revoletor.
Joe Henry
Regular

Postby silenus » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:30 pm

Same song...but does anyone know where this recording is originating from?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HabHAmwBb60

Thanks
silenus
Regular

Postby Joe Henry » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:52 pm

i figured that song out..its pretty easy if youre familiar with son house's style. Just watch this video, hes playing the same thing as levee camp moan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGkYi5REBs8

its pretty easy to see what hes doing.
Joe Henry
Regular

Postby silenus » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:28 am

Lovely clip, thanks for that link
silenus
Regular

Re: Son House's

Postby killerkarl » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:15 pm

My favourite Son House song, tricky to tab or anything as with most son house songs he just plays what the hell he feels and follows his voice.
The way I play it is-

Open G tuning (I use open A but it dont matter)

Play around the 12th fret with a slide for the first line of the verse using finger strums, slip back to the 10th fret to stress words, try and echo what you are singing.
Slip back to the 3rd fret and slide up to the 4th on the A and D string for that bass thump (as you would for walking blues) slide up to 12th fret and repeat your vocals using the slide.

For the second line of the verse you can either use the slide and go into the 5th fret and keep a sliding bass thump there or slide into fret 5 with your index finger and use your ring finger to pick out the voice at the 7th and 8th fret in the long A position, Son used both of these techniques

For the third line of the verse use a bass slide onto the 7th fret and keep it there for two beats then walk it down to the 5th and 3rd frets with the slide.

For the turnaround son would walk down the bass strings from the third fret to open- like robert johnson- do the little bass thump from 3rd to 4th fret and gently glide the slide over the high E at the 5th fret.

12 fret vocal echo Bass thump, slide up pick out vocal line
Every pay day, she would be standing at the landing crying
Bass thump onto the fifth fret, keep it there, echo vocals with ring finger
Ooooh ohhhhh she would be standing at the landing crying
Bass slide up to 7th 5th fret 3rd fret turn around
Why wont that big boat hurry and bring back that man of mine

Like I say its hard to tab out this sort of blues. This is only a very rough guide.
killerkarl
Regular

Re: Son House's

Postby HipHopBlues » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:17 am

Looks like both of the above posted videos have been removed due to copyright issues. I was looking forward to putting some visuals behind the music. I couldn't find the specific songs you guys are talking about, but here is a play list of everything from Son House that is available on Grooveshark. I highly recommend checking it out, I have been scouring it for samples all night.

http://listen.grooveshark.com/headphones/#/artist/Son+House/24328?src=5

I'm particularly enjoying "Empire State Express"
HipHopBlues
Regular

Re:

Postby Gham » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:20 am

silenus wrote:No, it's a recorded live gig somewhere from the late '60s probably.
And it's in very good sound condition. A very harsh, passionate and deep singing/playin Son House (also a bit drunk I guess, if you listen to those monologues...)
It contains a 15min. during song (yes, 15 minutes !!!) and others
I haven't heard before.
You can (pay)download it , or listen to snippets in the link bellow.

http://www.mp3shits.com/full/download/S ... mp3/49154/

Enjoy

I've got this on my Iphone and yes it is long! 9:28 on that Martin Scorsese presents the blues compilation
Gham
Regular

Return to Guitar Tabs