Junior Kimbrough tabs

A place to post guitar tabs separately from other discussion so it doesn’t get lost in the messages. To make it easy to search we suggest starting a new thread for each song posted and include the song name in your title. We’ll be able to make a nice archive if we keep tab here and discussion on the other forums.

Junior Kimbrough tabs

Postby texastele » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:10 pm

I enjoy Junior Kimbrough's music and have been trying to figure some of it out lately. I was excited to get the "See Me Laughing" DVD because I thought that I might be able to figure out how he played some of his stuff, but so far, the footage was more cool to listen to than helpful in playing my guitar. Thanks.
texastele
Regular

RE: Junior Kimbrough tabs

Postby huge blues » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:51 am

The Fat Possum DVD is a must see but if you want to cop Juniors style I would check out the 1991 film "Deep Blues". The film is pre-Fat Possum and features footage shot inside Juniors jook joint in Holly Springs.
huge blues
Regular

Postby texastele » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:41 pm

Hey, thanks. I will check that out again. I had a copy of that, but, ironically, it was broken when I moved to Mississippi.
texastele
Regular

Postby boweavil blues » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:40 am

When he's playing All Night Long on Deep Blues, I'm pretty certain it's g# and sort of sure its standard tuning. Can anyone confirm this?
boweavil blues
Regular

Postby boweavil blues » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:58 pm

boweavil blues
Regular

Postby boogiechillun85 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:43 am

I haven't seen the video in awhile, but I remember messing around along with it and it being in standard. He was playing like he was in A, and the tuning was a little off so it sounds like G#.
Jim
http://www.soundclick.com/jimnjblues
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Junior Kimbrough tabs

Postby bluesboyspecial » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:45 pm

I've worked a lot on Junior Kimbrough's songs, mainly by listening and imitating. You can figure out almost every one of his songs by messing around in the A minor pentatonic scale, with some added blue notes and flourishes like trills, hammer-ons, pulloffs, etc. You can play these songs in standard tuning at the 5th fret, Open G, or Open A. I like to use Open A Crossnote. The A minor pentatonic scale starts at the 3rd fret for Open G and Open A tuning (5th string for Open G). Hope that helps!
bluesboyspecial
Regular

Re: Junior Kimbrough tabs

Postby Slim » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:22 pm

Yeah he was tuned about a half step low every time I heard it. I always play it in A. Really not much to the playing just getting the feel right. You can see a couple of his things on youtube....Sad Days Lonely nights I think is footage in the jukejoint (May it rest in Peace)

Junior is the mf'n BOMB!
Slim
Regular

Return to Guitar Tabs