Sliding 9th technic

A place to post guitar tabs separately from other discussion so it doesn’t get lost in the messages. To make it easy to search we suggest starting a new thread for each song posted and include the song name in your title. We’ll be able to make a nice archive if we keep tab here and discussion on the other forums.

Sliding 9th technic

Postby birddog » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:04 pm

I've been watching this Berklee instructor's vid's and they are great. Thrying to get a handle on the T-Bone stuff and this sliding 9th stuff. Tried to find these chords on the chord generators on the different sources on the net but can't seem to find them. Maybe I'm calling them the wrong chords in my searches I don't know. This guy has a number of these vids and I've downloaded them for my personal use.
If anybody can shed some light on these as I'd like to find them and print them out for my music book or if you can give other examples of songs, styles or musice they are used in to listen to I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
birddog
Regular

Re: Sliding 9th technic

Postby michaelm » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:57 pm

bdog, I'm not quite sure just what you are asking. The video seems straight forward to me. If it's the ninth chords that you are after, I think that I can help with that. Ninth chords are built on seventh chords. The ninth is the second note in the scale. I'll illustrate with the G9 that he used in the video:

Notes in a G major chord: G B D
Notes in a G7 chord: G B D F
Notes in a G9 chord: G B D F A

The notes he plays in the video example of the G9 are:
5th string, 2nd fret: B
4th string, 3rd fret: F
3rd string, 2nd fret: A
2nd string, 3rd fret: D

To generalize from this example, you build a ninth chord from the root, third, fifth, seventh and ninth. A couple of things that you might want to notice: The G that the chord is named after doesn't even appear in this shape! The top three notes, F, A & D, are a Dm chord; if you add a B, the bottom note, you have a Dm6. Most every chord with four or more notes has more than one name. HTH.
michaelm
Regular

Re: Sliding 9th technic

Postby DonnyK » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:28 pm

Probably won't want to, but an excellent book

if you can get get it from a library or some other means (it's quite expensive) I would do. You probably only need to read the first 2-3 chapters and you'll be more than qualified for most of the blues theory you'll need.
DonnyK
Regular

Return to Guitar Tabs