How to play Rube Lacy ???

A place to post guitar tabs separately from other discussion so it doesn’t get lost in the messages. To make it easy to search we suggest starting a new thread for each song posted and include the song name in your title. We’ll be able to make a nice archive if we keep tab here and discussion on the other forums.

How to play Rube Lacy ???

Postby silenus » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:30 am

Hi (again),
I'm recently blown away (not literally) by Rube Lacy's - Mississippi Jailhouse Groan
Anybody has some starting tips on how to play that marvelous tune?
(think it's in open D)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj6wepE_NvY

Thanks

P.S.: also looking for Blind Lemon Jefferson's - See That My Grave Is kept Clean

edited:
Found the notes on this link
link to notes
but can't read notes so is there somebody out (or in) there
who can put these notes into a tab please. Thanks in any case.
silenus
Regular

Re: How to play Rube Lacy ???

Postby blueshome » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:04 pm

Try E standard for the Rube Lacy, tuned down a whole step to pitch in D rather than open D and I'm sure you'll get there, it doesn't appear that hard a guitar part, but the vocal and the time is stupendous.

The B.Lemon is in E standard, don't have copy near to check the absolute pitch.

The best place on the net for this kind of info is to go to www.weeniecampbell.com where you can bet someone will have nailed these songs (& 100's of others) and be able to help.
blueshome
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:57 am

Rube Lacy plays "Mississippi Jailhouse Groan" in D minor tuning but the 3rd string is actually tuned a bit flat so you really got to go by ear if ya want to play it like Rube. Your right in that it is a great tune. I have not played it for years but am going to break it out again now that you have reminded me of it.

I play "See that My Grave is kept Clean" in Open E. A cool way to play it though is to use a drop D tuning like Dylan did.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby silenus » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:49 am

Thanks to both for those good tips...
Sure will make it a lot easier to get his sound right.
Will check out that link too.
Thanks again

P.S: LoFi, I like to play in open tunings for the moment, so do you have a tab or some instructions
on how to play "See That My Grave..." ?
Thanks in any case
silenus
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:16 pm

I don't use tab - just play by ear, so I am not really up on where you can find the stuff. I have tried to tab out tunes for folks when asked (I recently did "Nobody Knows You When Your Down and Out" for someone and have been working on a mandolin tab for the way I fingerpick a tune lifted from Johnson's "32-20 Blues" for someone else) but it is usually ends of being a pretty basic version as for whatever reason when I try and slow something down to figure out how to write it down I lose it. But I can surely put something together that would show ya the basic chord voicings, bass runs, and stuff like that. Let me know.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby silenus » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:39 am

That would be nice.
And I just use tabs to get the feeling and basic right (as you said).
From then on I always play without and just follow the feeling but with some songs
I just can 't find the place (chords) to start...
Thanks again
silenus
Regular

Postby blueshome » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:48 pm

Silenus, getting back to Rube Lacy (or any other artist/song you need), you could try here in addition to checking out weeniecampbell as i suggested previously: http://www.johnmillerguitar.com/teaching.html
blueshome
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:24 pm

No problem - Just give me a bit - I will try to get to it over the weekend.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby silenus » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:30 am

Thanks Blueshome...checked it and sure is a useful link.
And thank you for your timeand don't rush it Lo-Fi...rushing the blues is a bad karma thing :)
Greets
silenus
Regular

Return to Guitar Tabs