Picks again

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: Picks again

Postby Bournio » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:59 pm

I thought i was a 2 finger type guy... just got fingerpicks, and it made me realise how often my ring finger comes into action...

but only when I'm picking chords and stuff... when I'm sliding it's all about the 2 fingers.

GUess I'm just a strange player!
Bournio
Regular

Postby birddog » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:19 pm

I picked up a Propick thumb pick at Elderly a couple weeks ago. The first one that seems I can work with. Dosen't want to work loose & the pick part is just at the right angle and the right length.
Got some of there finger picks to but can't use them, have to look into some of the others mentioned, Brass hmm...
Sure can't see paying for that thirty some dollar bear modification but if it works for you.

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby La.Blue » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:09 am

I've started using plastic picks on my 1st and 2nd fingers. The clear "Dobro" type that Dunlop makes.

I did spring for the $35 red bear trading thumbpick with the tortis edge and I'm very happy with it. It's very comfortable and has a perfect length for me. I hear a lot of good things about the brass Acri finger picks from forum members. I think that I will eventually try them too. BTW, I have always played with just 2 fingerpicks, a habit I got into many years ago when playing banjo. Are any of you playing with 3 fingerpicks? (On first, index and ring finger?)

I normally play with 3 fingers and my thumb when I'm playing bare fingered. For some reason, I don't like to use my 3rd finger with a fingerpick. It's clumsy feeling to me.

I did make a sort of interesting discovery this week. When I play bare fingered my right hand is tilted toward the floor and I play off of the left side of my finger. That doesn't work as well with fingerpicks, though. I found that rotating my hand so that my fingers were aimed more towards the end of the fingerboard gives me more control over the picks. It would be like I was playing with the pad of my finger ( if I wasn't wearing a fingerpick).
La.Blue
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:33 pm

Yep, you have to keep the picks pointed right. That's a lot of the trouble people have getting used to them.
ricochet
Regular

Postby mmapags » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:30 am

Love the propick fingertones with the 4 bands. You can adjust them so they are very comfortable and play around with the angle of the loop so that you touch the string with finger 1st and then metal. King of gives the best of both worlds with feel and projection. I've never really found a thum pick that I loved. I just ordered a propick beveled one with a string order from Elderly. So we'll see.Birdog, it's better to live a half hour away than around the corner! If I didn't have to internet order and it was too convenient I'd go broke! :blink:
mmapags
Regular

Postby birddog » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:13 pm

mmapags wrote:Love the propick fingertones with the 4 bands. You can adjust them so they are very comfortable and play around with the angle of the loop so that you touch the string with finger 1st and then metal. King of gives the best of both worlds with feel and projection. I've never really found a thum pick that I loved. I just ordered a propick beveled one with a string order from Elderly. So we'll see.Birdog, it's better to live a half hour away than around the corner! If I didn't have to internet order and it was too convenient I'd go broke! :blink:

mmapags, let us know on the pick after you give it a workout. Yeah a half hour away is just about right, the only time I can go is on a saturday maybe every other month. If it was around the corner, I would be in trouble my self. The thing that sometimes troubles me when I go in there is they have a layaway. :P I feel pretty fortunate to have a quality store like that to visit though.

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby abhinav » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:32 pm

After sticking with Propiks for a few months, I gave plastic fingerpicks (Dunlop, clear type) another try. When I had first tried them, they felt so clumsy that I had given up. Now, after a few months of Propicking under my belt, suddenly the plastic fingerpicks don't feel too awckward.
And, the tone is much, much better. I plan to stick with them now for some time.
abhinav
Regular

Postby Old Stella » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:34 pm

Hey Birddog,

I live 2 hours from Elderly. I envy you.
Isn't it bliss to bask beneath the resonators, marvel at the Martins, and dig thru the drawers of picks?
Is it bliss or a sickness?
Old Stella
Regular

Postby birddog » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:52 pm

I think its both bliss and a sickness :lol:
birddog
Regular

Postby Old Stella » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:17 am

I live on one side of Michigan and my musician brother lives on the other shore. Sometimes we 'meet in the middle' on an "Elderly Road Trip," .........sometimes we don't buy anything BUT picks. When I see all those Nationals lined up - well - it's better than drugs. Over the last 20 years or so I've traded in a lot of stuff and walked out with some gems. I dragged my dad in there and convinced him that at 71 years of age he's not too old to get a dobro like the one he quit playing when he was 13. He bought one, put the picks on, started playing like he never missed a beat. Here's the funny part, he said, "I gotta play for my teacher, she'd love it." I said, "She's still alive?" He said, "Ya, on 'such and such' road, she must be 95 by now."
I guess music keep you goin'.
Old Stella
Regular

Postby mmapags » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:06 pm

Wow, Old Stella! That's a great story. I'm really glad for your dad and I would say that yes he should go over a play a tune or 2 for his teacher. I'm sure it'd bring a big smile and much gratification to her!
mmapags
Regular

Postby birddog » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:09 pm

Old Stella wrote:I live on one side of Michigan and my musician brother lives on the other shore. Sometimes we 'meet in the middle' on an "Elderly Road Trip," .........sometimes we don't buy anything BUT picks. When I see all those Nationals lined up - well - it's better than drugs. Over the last 20 years or so I've traded in a lot of stuff and walked out with some gems. I dragged my dad in there and convinced him that at 71 years of age he's not too old to get a dobro like the one he quit playing when he was 13. He bought one, put the picks on, started playing like he never missed a beat. Here's the funny part, he said, "I gotta play for my teacher, she'd love it." I said, "She's still alive?" He said, "Ya, on 'such and such' road, she must be 95 by now."
I guess music keep you goin'.

That is a great story about your dad. Sounds like a musiacal family. Terry you told me you were old, now you didn't say when this was but you can't be that old if your dad was 71 in the last decade or so. My dad is 85.
My car steered itself to Elderly last saturday, I saw a used amp I wanted to look at and while it was in good shape & the price was right it was to heavy & didn't want something that heavy. I showed great refrain, walked out with a couple picks and a couple saddle blanks & spent less than $20.
Oh, and I did fool with this one a little, you would have thought I was on drugs I alsmost drooled on it.
http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/NGTRI.htm

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby sawgrass » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:10 pm

I got a hold of a pair of ACRI brass fingerpicks and boy, are they comfortable! They slide on the fingers like a "slipper on a foot" and seem to impart a nice warm tone to my tricone. These are my favorites for playing the resonator. but I prefer the propik f-tones for fingerpickin' my acoustic 6 and 12 string. What a great forum this is! We can sure learn a lot from each other!!
sawgrass
Regular

Postby mmapags » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:36 pm

Ok, so I got the Propick Conour thumb pick from Elderly. Hated it. It gives a raspy metalic tone. Not pleasant at all. Guess I'm sticking with the dunlop plastics on the thumb with the Propick F-tones on the 3 fingers. At least I only wated $3.50.
mmapags
Regular

Postby bkg » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:00 am

I've been using those Propick F-tones for a couple years now, the soft touch from the open space felt more natural than the closed ones.

However the open space on those recently (yesterday) did end up being a problem for me.

I tried the "raking" type strum/pick (from a brozman video), where you rake the thumbpick down, and the fingers up at the same time....
with the end result of ... blisters. I didn't even know I was grinding the fingertips until a couple hours later. Ouch.

I'll be trying out some full-coverage fingerpicks now, based on yall's good tips in this thread.

Cheers,

Brian
bkg
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar