Which finger for slide?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: Which finger for slide?

Postby ricochet » Fri May 01, 2009 4:57 pm

Yep, "right and wrong" don't apply well to playing blues.
ricochet
Regular

Postby Jane fromLondonUK » Fri May 01, 2009 10:58 pm

[quote="La.Blue"]I'm a pinky player because of the chording/damping thing. But it looks like Mance Lipscomb had a different take on it.

That's a wild vid -- never seen that before. Thanks!
Jane fromLondonUK
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Sat May 02, 2009 11:35 pm

I use my ring finger and my pinky. Heavier slides go on the ring finger and lighter ones on the pinky.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby texas blues » Sun May 03, 2009 4:58 am

Picked up a new coricidin slide by Bigheart today. Also played 6 LP's and couple MIM Strats. The Strats, one aged, and both MIM..junk. The LP's...Studio's, both faded and finished. Not bad. Slide was okay...worn on my index....felt funky on my pinky. Came home with it and got down on my LP and it was hot, blue, and righteous! index it is.

Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby Awesome McBadass » Mon May 04, 2009 10:25 pm

I wear my slides on my middle finger, usually.
The reasoning behind it is that I have really long, skinny fingers and I don't wear my slides all the way on the whole finger--the second knuckle on my middle finger sticks out enough that it stops the slide and holds it snugly, which is how I like to wear my slide.
Awesome McBadass
Regular

Postby spoonfull94 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:20 am

When I'm playin' in standart tuning ,I use my pinky with a knuckle slide on it . With open tunings I use the ring finger with a full-size bottleneck
spoonfull94
Regular

Postby gaucho » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:02 pm

I've been using my ring finger since I started, but recently I've been trying to use my pinky. I have small fingers and hands though and it's really hard to play clean on the 12 fret and above with it on my pinky. Because of this I've pretty much gone back to my ring finger.
gaucho
Regular

Postby TheFanHead » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:18 pm

I use a brass slide (DUnlop 222) on my ring finger for everything. It works for me. I don't see the point if messing around with other fingers and glass/ceramic slides when a simple brass one works for me. It'll always work for me :twisted:
TheFanHead
Regular

Location: Sunny Thornton Le Dale, 15 miles from scarborough and home of the gods :D

Postby B-dub » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:31 pm

bluzlvr wrote:I've always worn the slide on my pinky finger leaving the rest of my fingers to form chords or play licks especially if I'm in standard tuning, but I notice that a lot of the greats (Duane Allman, Derek Trucks) put the slide on the ring finger. Is there some kind of advantage to this? It seems like kind of a waste of a finger to me.
A little survey: Which finger do you put the slide on?

I started out with the slide on my ring finger, but then switched to my pinky. You definitely get a different look at fretting and chording options depending on the finger that is free, but I can’t say one is better than the other. Muting behind the slide can be achieved with either option.

Most people choose one or the other, but I suppose a favorite alternate tuning might be a good way to determine whether it would be advantageous to wear the slide on the ring or pinky. For example, if you use a tuning that produces a lot of chords over a span of four frets, then it would be nice to have the pinky finger free to reach over that span; and visa versa, the ring finger free for tightly grouped notes/chords.
B-dub
Regular

Previous

Return to Guitar